Clutch failure.. help a newbie!

GoldenMotor.com

ScubaSteve

Dec 16, 2011
CT
Hi folks. First time poster, long time reader. Also mechanically not so great! Any help will be greatly appreciated, my bike is my only transportation right now and i am just about out of food. Its a long walk to the store!! I apologize if this question has been asked before.. i've read everything i can find thats clutch related here and am still stumped so bear with me please.

Anyways.

I have a 66cc chinese 2-stroke from rawmotors. I ride it often, and probably have put roughly 200-300 miles on it.

It was running great until the other day. I was going down the road at maybe 10mph, and suddenly i had no power. The engine still ran.. just no power. The rear wheel is now free spinning.. doesnt matter if i pull the clutch in or let it out. Free spin all the way.

I took the outer cover off. Even with the clutch arm disconnected, it still spins freely. (it should not do this right?)

Is there something that perhaps needs tightening? I'd assume so, but i dont want to break anything. I'm beyond poor and cant afford to break this thing while doing exploratory surgery.

Hopefully i've explained this all properly. Thank you in advance for any advice!

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Your problem sounds very similar to what happened to my Skyhawk 66cc. I was out riding and lost all power to the rear wheel. I thought it might be that the clutch needed to be tightened but when I took off the right side clutch cover I found out that the small bevel gear that drives the big clutch gear, had come loose. When I pushed the bike forward, both gears would turn when the clutch lever was out to engage power, but the motor wouldn't turn over. I took out the slotted screw that holds the small bevel gear on, removed the gear, and found out there was no halfmoon key in there to keep the gear from turning on the crankshaft. The gear was loose enough to remove it with my fingers, and I could see a crack in it right above the keyway. There's no quick fix so I ordered the parts, and am waiting for them now. (Ordered from Bike Berry, a sponsor of this site)

Hope this helped, and good luck with your food supply until the parts arrive.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Excellent recommendation and awesome pictures, porch lizard!
I would like to add that where the clutch attaches to the to clutch shaft and the chain drive sprocket attaches to the other end of the clutch shaft also have those half moon "woodruff" keys as well. If any of the mentioned parts comes loose or the key fails you will experience exactly the problem ScubaSteve is having.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
That's a good point GearNut, there's more than one place these motors can fail, and the place I mentioned is just the place mine failed. I'm sure ScubaSteve will figure it out, and the more input the quicker that happens. I'm not riding now because of waiting on delivery of parts and the weather has been the best I could expect in Iowa (warm-30's -and clear roads). By the time I do get my parts, the weather will probably be too cold, too windy, ice covered roads, or something that will delay riding. Winter here stinks.
Good luck ScubaSteve, hope its a quick fix.

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
Remove the clutch side cover while being careful of not stripping the chinese screws, see what's inside; just peeking in can't damage. Check for signs of what might be wrong by walking the bike with the clutch engaged, disengaged, etc.