HD Throttle Sticks?

GoldenMotor.com

Reed

Mar 13, 2011
Wausau, WI
I just got an HD throttle from Sick Bikes because my throttle cable broke and I figured why not just get a new throttle?

Long story short...I can't get it to work.

Even when I first put it on, I couldn't get it to move freely. So, I took it apart and discovered that the grip part tightens right through the threads and pulls itself tight, either against the screw on plate, or the body of the throttle itself.
I put loctite on the threads, adjusted it to where it was loose enough to twist easy and let it cure....that didn't last long. First time I pulled it to WOT, the loctite let loose and it tightened again--sticking at WOT until I manually turned it back.

I am not impressed with this throttle. Did I screw it up somehow, or is that just the way it (doesn't) work?

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Not too impressed either, seems cheap and I have what I think is the same problem you had. My wouldn't even pull the throttle cable seemed like something was striped, tighten the screws on the side and it got to tight found a sweet spot but I have to manually push it forward to keep it from being suck.Used it about 4 or 5 times and it's already falling apart. Can anyone suggest a better throttle?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have the same problem also, the only way to really fix this is to drill and tap a set screw to keep it from turning.

I had purchased one awhile ago and was happy with it, purchased two more and only able to use one; not happy with the one in use. It spins forward all the time and tightens only when giving it throttle. It's also a 1/4 turn type which is a problem on my 4 stroke bike. It’s way too sensitive.

Reed

Mar 13, 2011
Wausau, WI
Guys, you have a defective throttle.

I talked to Jim at SBP a few days after I started this topic. He informed me that the two pieces were supposed to be assembled in such a way that they would not come apart; at that time, he only had knowledge of one other defective throttle. Jim was very quick to offer to send a new throttle. All he asked in return was pictures of what was broken so that he could show his machinist.

My advice: Call or E-mail Jim. These throttles are amazing when they're not...well...broken.