My OP Roller

GoldenMotor.com

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I Finally got her up and running the other day and thought I would share some pics.

Pic#1: As you can see I was going for the vintage look.

Pic#2: I had to get creative with my engine mounts. Those are 1 1/2" thick blocks of aluminum, bored out and then split and bolted back together around the frame and a piece of steel tube. It's very solid.

Pic#3: Also, I know that there is a lot of worry about front fenders falling off and locking up the front wheel. This is what I came up with. Those are cushion clamps and they are available in different sizes at almost any hardware store.

This bike isn't really done, they never are right? Over the next few months I plan to add an SBP expansion chamber, old-timey leather seat and tool bag, and possibly do something different with the handle bars. Also, I'm not that happy with the tank, so the first order of business is to build a new one and make it out of fiberglass this time. I'm much better at fiberglassing than welding.

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Pretty nice work. I do like your fender clamp idea. How much does a big block of aluminiun like that cost? Could you post a close up pic of the front motor mount?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Did you make the tank Tim? If not where did you find that tank just curious. It does work nicely with that frame.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Biknut, I think that a block of aluminum that size would be around $12. I got mine for free, I told my Dad what I intended to do and some blocks of aluminum "disappeared" from where he works. ;)
Also, I will get the camera out shortly for that close up pic.

Goat Herder, Yes I made the tank. Like I said before, I am no welder. Actually the tank is brazed together, but the problem is that it leaks despite the fact that I used Kreme on it. I wanted to do a fiberglass tank, but everyone around me said OMG YOU SHOULDN'T DO THAT BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT AND IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU DO BECAUSE I DON'T!!!!! so I made a metal one... and it leaks. LOL, so I'm doing it my way next time. :)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah I am about to do a fiberglass one my self. For the same type of in frame so to speak.
From what I can tell [have not done it yet] I will sculpt a block of styrofoam. Then run fiberglass on the out side. Last pour gas inside and watch the styrofoam disappear.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Goat, that is pretty much exactly what I am going to do. Just make sure that you are using epoxy resin, the polyester stuff (like the Bondo brand from the auto parts store) is not compatible with gasoline. Plus polyester resin will eat the foam and it will end up being warped. Also I plan to line the tank with something just as an extra safeguard, so I was going to dissolve the foam with acetone rather than gas just to make sure that the liner will stick.

Slowrollers, I was wondering about using something other than Kreem (kreme, whatever) next time around. I will check that out, thanks.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Note taken on the epoxy resin. I had been wondering where the hick up might be on what was gonna eat the foam by accident. I think I heard some where else here on the forum somebody had there foam sculpture go away. Thanks there for sure!

Sounds like I will prolly go Acetone as well depends on how poor I feel when I get there [money]. I was gonna line the tank too I think. Its all still in the making for me. Half the fun is dreaming about it while I slowly collect the pieces. lol

Red dog

Oct 12, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Very nice, where did you pick up the seat? Just got mine painted, looking to get the motor tomorrow. I ordered some universal mounts, hopefully it will get me started.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Red Dog, didn't mean to ignore you, I hadn't checked this thread in a while is all. I got that seat at Target last year some time, I don't know if they still carry them. I call it the wide-a$$ seat and it is comfortable, but IMO it doesn't look "vintage" enough. It will be replaced this winter along with a few other modifications and corrections.

Speaking of which, I've decided that my engine has some serious crankshaft balance issues. The high RPM vibrations are INSANE. I didn't notice earlier because during break-in I was keeping it in low R's only. The easiest fix I can think of is to buy a whole new bottom end. Gasbike.net sells them for $50 with free shipping. But I think we all know how gasbike is. I might order a 66cc bottom end and receive a 1967 Buick Skylark instead. :rolleyes: