Old 20" Springer Bike Frame

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've had this old bike frame since I was about 12 or 13 years old I'm 42 now so....I've had it for a while, anyway it doesnt have a brand name on it anywhere and no #'s that I can find and I am just wondering with all this vast knowledge out here on this forum if anyone may have a clue what it is, I've set a motor in it and it will fit the frame, it's tight but it goes and I plan to put a 66cc with a 28t. sprocket on it when I get the time, I think this little booger will be very nice with some ape hangers and a sissy bar behind a banana seat. one of the pics shows a tag that is still readable, it is all that is on the bike.
Take a look and tell me what you think it is, I'm very curious.
Thanks, Shan
.shft.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've had this old bike frame since I was about 12 or 13 years old I'm 42 now so....I've had it for a while, anyway it doesnt have a brand name on it anywhere and no #'s that I can find and I am just wondering with all this vast knowledge out here on this forum if anyone may have a clue what it is, I've set a motor in it and it will fit the frame, it's tight but it goes and I plan to put a 66cc with a 28t. sprocket on it when I get the time, I think this little booger will be very nice with some ape hangers and a sissy bar behind a banana seat. one of the pics shows a tag that is still readable, it is all that is on the bike.
Take a look and tell me what you think it is, I'm very curious.
Thanks, Shan
.shft.
The cranks are not original on this bike they are off of an old Yamaha bicycle I had as a young teen, now that was a cool bike....!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks guys, then I would say it is a Murry, it is one heck of a heavy frame, I have a 26" schwinn that has the alloy wheels and such and this 20" frame is as heavy if not a little heavier than the entire 26" bike, this thing has got to have some very thick tubing, I think it will make a cool little bike...Thanks again guys..
Shan

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Well mapbike I had my suspicions of what you have there, and I was correct you have a Murray Wildcat made in Dayton, Oh. from the 1960's The only thing I don't know about is the springer forks. As the only springer was on the Firecat but that was a chopper of the same time frame. You could very well have a one of a kind. I think the forks are from an old schwinn though those were popular to have springers at that time. Either way It's gonna be cool when you're done. Please post some pics.

Here's a couple of the original ads for that bike. The full page ad even gives you the different tire sizes.

Attachments

Tulsacruiser

Mar 26, 2010
Tulsa, Ok
Well mapbike I had my suspicions of what you have there, and I was correct you have a Murray Wildcat made in Dayton, Oh. from the 1960's The only thing I don't know about is the springer forks. As the only springer was on the Firecat but that was a chopper of the same time frame. You could very well have a one of a kind. I think the forks are from an old schwinn though those were popular to have springers at that time. Either way It's gonna be cool when you're done. Please post some pics.

Here's a couple of the original ads for that bike. The full page ad even gives you the different tire sizes.
If Im not mistaken Schwinn never used a springer for like that.

This is a murry MX and an Murry/Otasco MX I own the Otasco (yellow and Black one)

Notice they have the same forks

Attachments

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Tulsacruiser Thanks for correcting me. I guess I don't know as much as I thought. LOL I didn't know Murray kept that frame style for so many years.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If Im not mistaken Schwinn never used a springer for like that.

This is a murry MX and an Murry/Otasco MX I own the Otasco (yellow and Black one)

Notice they have the same forks
Thank you very much to you and all who have had input on my old springer frame, I have held on to this frame for all these years because I liked it so much and knew some day I would do something with it, I had never seen another one like it and it is very exciting to see those pick and know what it once was back in the day, I got this old frame out of a land fill when I was a kid, someone had thrown it away with some other junk and I saw it on a trip to the land fill and just had to have it even though my dad thought it was just more junk around the house, but he let me keep it and now I'm gonna make something very cool out of it, I'm not sure what color it will be yet though so if you'all want to give me some opinions I just might go with your color, remember it will have semi ape hanger bars and a black banana seat with a chrome sissy bar. Thanks again, Shan

usflg

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have a MoonDawg that color. I really like it. Kinda funky lookin' The Mrs. calls it the "electric avocado" lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have a MoonDawg that color. I really like it. Kinda funky lookin' The Mrs. calls it the "electric avocado" lol
That's funny, "electric avocado" the green will work good for me because that is my last name....My wife would probably call mine the GREEN MACHINE or GREEN THING OR something like that, I'LL JUST CALL IT "COOL- GREEN- FUN".....!

.duh.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Yeah that color green and possibly some white and dark red pin stripe work. That thing will be Smokin'. But the Green looks Sweet.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah that color green and possibly some white and dark red pin stripe work. That thing will be Smokin'. But the Green looks Sweet.

I found a white wall slick tire for the back on e-bay and a white wall nobby for the front, I know the nobby seems dumb but I like to stay on two wheels and the gravel road I live on would eat my lunch with anything else on the front.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
You guys are blowin up
my inbox.. I'm subscribed to this and when reply gets me a email notifycation. So far 15 LOL

I've lost track.. Something about a old frame and then murrays and then green moondawgs...