New to Motorized Bicycle World

GoldenMotor.com

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Hello, My name is Jerome Cain, Deaf that using American Sign Language so please bearing with my writing in my second language, english. Eventually I know several languages around the world. Anyway, I just typed on an internet search for motor engine, harley davidson for my custom bike. That is when I spotted "Motorized Bicycle" I asked myself what is motorized bicycle? So, I checked that is how I found this site of the forum where I can get to learn about motorized bicycle. First of all, I am very curious about motor itself as I understood it came from china. I understand about the 50 and 80cc. But my questions are when did it came in the America? How did it started? Any history about it? How long have people around started to build off their bike with motorized? gas and oil, sure lots of vibrate so for the loud thing. It would be bless if someone would help me to understand the period of time being about motorized bicycle itself. I kept myself open minded to it and see if I can get to build one for myself. Of course, will post the picture if I get to start the frame,... Guess I will go for the right place where I can post to ask which frame would be nice to go on with the motorized,... Thanks people! What should I call you people of motorized bicycle culture? (haha!)

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Hey cain, welcome to the forum. If You do decide to build, I am sure you won't be disapointed. these are really fun to build, work on, and OFC ride. This is the website that I found to be interesting when trying to find out the history like you About Us As for a frame. Just find one that you really like, make sure that there is enough room where the motor mounts, and then figure out a way to mount it. There are various different ways to mount a motor if the tube is too big. You can buy motor mounts, and sprocket adapters, which help making mounting alot easier, and safer. Good luck on your build if you decide to, and don't let the bug bite you if you do build. I just started 2 1/2 months ago, and I am on my fourth build already.

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Rkorson4209, Thanks for reply. Your comment made sense to me. Thanks for sharing information which I real need from,... I will keep in mind about the frame issue. Already on 4th project since 2 1/2 months ago? Sell motorized bicycle?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello Cain,
Welcome to the forum. With my first build (1963 Schwinn American) I just wanted to get the danged motor mounted so I could ride without pedaling. It was so much fun that I wanted to do a second bike so that somebody else could go riding with me and so that if one was down with a problem, I still had the other to ride. The second build (also a 63 Schwinn American) went much easier than the first. Since then I found this forum and have learned so many valuable tips and met a lot of inventive folks willing to share. At the moment I'm on my seventh and and eighth builds, both 1930's Elgins. Now I find that the building is every bit as much fun as the riding and am embarking on a small business venture of building bikes for others. If I want to keep having fun building them then I have to sell some to be able to afford the hobby. I can only ride one at a time anyway.
SB

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Welcome to the forum glad you joined us. Motorized bicycles have been around since the 1940's in america starting with the wizzor bikes.many people have put all kinds of engines onb ikes such as chainsaw motors lawn mower engines what ever else we could find a way not to have to peddle. A V type frame always seems to be easier to mount the motors on such as a mountain bike but cruisers are much cooler looking in my opinion. There is a ton of information here look around at the different sections and pictures you can find here and you wilol get a really good idea of what to avoid when doing your first project.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Hello Cain,
Welcome to the forum. With my first build (1963 Schwinn American) I just wanted to get the danged motor mounted so I could ride without pedaling. It was so much fun that I wanted to do a second bike so that somebody else could go riding with me and so that if one was down with a problem, I still had the other to ride. The second build (also a 63 Schwinn American) went much easier than the first. Since then I found this forum and have learned so many valuable tips and met a lot of inventive folks willing to share. At the moment I'm on my seventh and and eighth builds, both 1930's Elgins. Now I find that the building is every bit as much fun as the riding and am embarking on a small business venture of building bikes for others. If I want to keep having fun building them then I have to sell some to be able to afford the hobby. I can only ride one at a time anyway.
SB
It's just so hard to not have only a couple bikes

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Silverbear, Nice to meet you. Hobby meant cost might be costly. Ha! I am thinking about getting two that way someone who can ride along with me so I can also sell it to see if people would buy my design. I will see what people has to say about my bike and hoped I can get to sell some that way I can finish my harley custom. Ha! Looked like I will be stuck with motorized bicycle forever because I can use it as my hobby where I can work on everyday compare to expensive hobby like harley. After I am done with my custom bike and will never build harley again. Motorized Bicycle is something that I can make some more and more,... What do you think? By the way, I have been research which frame should I buy,... Fun to study!

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Hi there the MB-Monkey, Thanks for your advise. I sure took yours about the frame that I am looking for,... Beach cruiser sure cool looks but the front tube is sort of too far for the motor to be mounted perfectly and also I do not want to spend hassle to fix it and expensive to buy front mount like ridley's,... Yes, I looked around forums and saw many different motorized bicycles. I have not find something that i real real like. I like Max's little better but tooo large frame for the small motor. looked too funny to me.
The V frame would be righteous.

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
Marts1, Sprocket adapter from which company were you talking about? The sprocket for the rear to pull the wheel forward? What is wrong with stock sprocket? (curious)

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Silverbear, Nice to meet you. Hobby meant cost might be costly. Ha! I am thinking about getting two that way someone who can ride along with me so I can also sell it to see if people would buy my design. I will see what people has to say about my bike and hoped I can get to sell some that way I can finish my harley custom. Ha! Looked like I will be stuck with motorized bicycle forever because I can use it as my hobby where I can work on everyday compare to expensive hobby like harley. After I am done with my custom bike and will never build harley again. Motorized Bicycle is something that I can make some more and more,... What do you think? By the way, I have been research which frame should I buy,... Fun to study!
Ye sit is fun to bike shop, that is why it's nice to build more than one style. Like silverbear said it's nice to have one for a buddy to ride along with you, and yes while one is down, being worked on, it's nice to have a spare. It, would be cool if people in my area pick up on the whole MB hobby, and buy bikes from, me. That is kinda another reason i am building diff. styles. So people can get more of an idea of what they want. As for it being hard and expensive to mount up a beach cruiser. no not really. All I did on my cruiser was added longer mounting bolts to the front, and added an extra mount. If you search you will find some other people on here. I ended up not liking the look of the mount, cause I'm a perfectionist, so I ordered a motor mount from jim at manic mechanic, on the left side<--------- Only 30m some bucks shipped. Which I gotta say, if funds are limited, instead of spreading out the money on multiple bike at first, I suggest putting it all into one bike, and get good parts from jim to do it right. Heres. the deal with the stock sprocket and rag joint. It is a pain in the arse to install in the first place, cause it is two rubber dongnuts clamped to the spokes. It's hard to get it perfectly alinged, and if you do it pulls on your spokes vs. the hub like the hub adapter. The hub adap, is made to custom fit your hub perfectly. It mounts up alot easier, and faster, and is perdectly straight. I had alot of chain problems before i got MM parts, now my bike feels so much more solid. I have a new wheel, and hub adapter, I'm thinking on making a video on it, since there really isn't any out there.drn2

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
SkjJoe and rkorson4209, Thanks for comment. I strong believed in the hub which is suppose to pull not spokes. I could not imagine something to pull the spokes which the spokes would goes curve which would be dangerous. I will keep my mind on JIM's sprocket adapter. I understood perfect about being perfectionist so though I would go for JIM's motor mount for my one day beach cruiser frame. I love to build something and make business. I am not into the rich but be able to enjoy and be able to earn a living. As Artist never be an easier task to be rich. Rich is not my thing but my Arts should be rich looks. Ha! (go back to work on my two frames to get them sand up)

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
SkjJoe and rkorson4209, Thanks for comment. I strong believed in the hub which is suppose to pull not spokes. I could not imagine something to pull the spokes which the spokes would goes curve which would be dangerous. I will keep my mind on JIM's sprocket adapter. I understood perfect about being perfectionist so though I would go for JIM's motor mount for my one day beach cruiser frame. I love to build something and make business. I am not into the rich but be able to enjoy and be able to earn a living. As Artist never be an easier task to be rich. Rich is not my thing but my Arts should be rich looks. Ha! (go back to work on my two frames to get them sand up)
Don't forget cain we love pics around here. of progress and finished

caincustomcycles

Jan 23, 2010
Austin
My g4 laptop mac is about to be scrambling that I could not upload from camera into it however I can use webcam to upload the video on my new caincustomcycles on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Good Idea and be able to see live,...? One day, I will get a used mac laptop that I can edit the photo and video in the future. Thanks for remain me.