Throttle cable problems

GoldenMotor.com

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
At WOT the engine would bog and then come back bog and then come back. Also my throttle wasnt twisting smoothly like It should so I decided to take it apart and see. I noticed the lil wattayacall it that holds the throttle in place broke off (shouldn't be a problem). When I went to put it all back together I cant seem to get the throttle cable right. I think its too losse.It keeps come out of the throttle housing and getting caught at the end. How should I fix this problem. When twisting the needle back down, how far should I twist it? What should I be cautious about not doing?

Help me out!!
Thanks

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I was messing with it again and I think i got somewhere. I think

The first two pictures is what the cable looks like. How do I tighten it so It doesnt come out of the throttle housing when I twist the throttle.

In the thrid picture, Is that where the slide is supposed to be when the throttle is not engaged??

And the fourth picture. I took off the intake manifold and one of the rods didnt come out with the nut. How do I get it the rod out? or are the rods supposed to stay in the cylinder and I unscrewed the other rod by accident??

This is SO frustrating when I dont really know what Im doing. Anyways can someone try and help me.

Thanks again

Attachments

saulsvilleb

Sep 2, 2009
WVa
sounds like you have your throttle (twist handle part) assembled wrong, it has a stop built in, if you dont get it back together right the cable will be to long. The stud (threaded part)for the intake is supposed to stay in

saulsvilleb

Sep 2, 2009
WVa
It should go down until it bottoms or very close to the brass jet just below it, there is pin inside the carb barrel that aligns with a slot in the slide, do you have it right, if you have it right the slide should move freely,make sure its not sticking

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
In the third picture..thats how far it goes down. Is that normal??? and yeah everything is aligned up right..its smooth and doesnt stick.

saulsvilleb

Sep 2, 2009
WVa
It should go down further, It looks like the cable end is stopping it from going all the way down, it should be up in a slot on the bottom of slide

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Is your slide in backwards or upside down?

Once you get it to sit down in there right, it should take up the slack on the cable.
You can use the top of the carb to help adjust out any slack as well.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Joe...I dont think the slide is backwards. I actually got everything back together by the end of the night.

I just screwed the c-clip all the way down to the bottom. Im not sure where I had it before. Where is a good place to start it off at?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Joe...I dont think the slide is backwards. I actually got everything back together by the end of the night.

I just screwed the c-clip all the way down to the bottom. Im not sure where I had it before. Where is a good place to start it off at?

When you say you screwed the C clip all the way to the bottom, do you mean you clipped it on the lowest notch on the needle?
It should start at the second from the top, then adjust if needed from there.
That slide has to sit all the way down in there, or you are going to start your engine and it's going to want to rev to the moon.

In your photo, the cable end looks like it's sticking out of the bottom of the slide, and that's not right. You order should be spring over the cable, then put your needle with the C clip in the slide, drop the pac-man washer over it and while holding the spring compressed hook the cable end in the recess at the bottom of the slide. The spring holds the big pac-man washer that holds the C clip and needle inside the slide....The spring pressure will then hold the whole works together and you can slide it in.
Once everything is properly set, the cable outer sheath should have little (1/32") freeplay at the end, unless you got a whacked cable outer that is way too short....that still wouldn't explain why the slide is not all the way down in.

Did that help?

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I screwed this thing all the way down because Im pretty sure thats where it was when FR31 helped me out. This is the c-clip right? I dont know what you mean by lowest notch on the needle??

Edit: not the cable adjuster, but the thing below it.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That just a locking ring.

The needle is the brass "needle" inside the slide. The C clip is on the needle. The needle and the C clip will be held in place with a "pac-man" looking washer sort of deal. That's all held down inside the slide by the slide return spring.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
How do I raise or lower the c-clip??? Im afraid to take it apart again because It took me all day to get the throttle cable working right.

But I actually just got back from a ride and It runs so smooth. I got her up to 33. It it some scary **** going 33. I cant imagine going 40 or faster. But yeah Im Stoked I got her runnin. Thanks for everyones help.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What did you do to fix it? What was the problem?!?

It's always nice to know what caused a problem....I like to store these things away in my "problem and solution files" in my head.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Well at WOT my engine would bog and I also Saw that my throttle was loose. I took off the throttle and the lil pin inside that holds the throttle in place broke off.

I dont know what I did but when I put the throttle back on It wasnt normal. It wouldnt come back up when I twisted it. The cables were all loose and messed up and I spent all day trying to adjust this adust that but it didnt work.

Then I took my carb off and it took me a couple tries to figure out that I put my slide in backwards when messing with it, thats why it wouldnt go down all the way.

Once that was in right my throttle came back and made some adjustments to the throttle cable and started her up and sounded good. Took her for a spin yesterday and runs great.