Flying Horse 2 stroke motor wont start with multiple problems

GoldenMotor.com

Jacob561

Jul 8, 2013
Fl
I've just assembled my motor and tried taking it out for a test run. You can probably guess what happened since I'm here... Anyway I mixed it with a 16:1 gas to oil fuel ratio, tested for a spark by spinning the rear wheel and touching the sparkplug to the head with no luck. I'm buying a OHM meter tomorrow to see if its the Magneto or sparkplug, but also on the test run the clutch cable seemed to get messed up, the lever on the handle wont retract even after I tried to fix it by pulling it tight I still have the same problem with it. So it created an unresponsive clutch due to the unresponsive clutch cable. The twist throttle wont retract in its original position as well, I'm thinking that I need to lube it ? Anyone have any suggestions ? These are just the problems I've experienced today...Every step to building this bike has been a nightmare, everything that was supposed to be one step took 20 substeps.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Sorry 'bout the nightmares. But these things can be really, really difficult the first time around. And even after you've worked through these first hurdles, others'll pop up. Less frequent? Yes. But it can take a bit of time to be confident that your bike can no longer throw you for a loop.

Anyway.....

The throttle issue sounds to me as though the slider is not inserted in the barrel right. There is a very small 'nub' on the inside of that barrel. The slider has a 'notch' running lengthwise. That nub must ride in that notch in order for the slider to come down all the way.

If your clutch cable is still attached to the lever on the top of the crankcase, then I'd guess that that lever and the mechanism it's attached to have come undone. I'd remove that cover --watch out for the ball bearing-- and make sure that that lever really is pushing the pressure plate away from the driven plate. ('driven plate' is the right term, isn't it? Suddenly I'm not sure about the name.)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
both those cables will bind if you try to zip-tie them tight to the frame - let them swing free and see if that helps

try spark plug on the muffler nut since the head may be painted & not a good ground

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Pictures please ;-}
I mixed it with a 16:1 gas to oil fuel ratio
Way to much 2-stroke oil, do a fresh batch of Preimium at 25: [5.2oz or 2/3 cup per gallon).
tested for a spark by spinning the rear wheel and touching the sparkplug to the head with no luck
Did you unscrew the fat tip from spark plug or just force it on?
If you didn't remove the copper tip from the plug you broke the cap.
the clutch cable seemed to get messed up, the lever on the handle wont retract even after I tried to fix it by pulling it tight I still have the same problem with it.
Try pushing the clutch in arm in by hand. Does the bike roll free? If so it's a cable issue, it not the grease in the clutch bearing on the right right is stuck which is common with a engine that old in a box, I wrote a guide here for how to break that free.
The twist throttle wont retract in its original position as well, I'm thinking that I need to lube it ?
As suggested make sure the cable is free and check the barrel in the carb is not binding but yes you can lube some parts, I do it on every build as if the the throttle don't snap back when released it ain't right.

The throttle barrel with the grip has a ridge for the cable to ride in and it is cupped by the 2 part housing, with a Q-tip just dad a LIGHT coast grease between those plastic parts, then smear a LIGHT coat of grease on the handlebar where the throttle rotates. Do NOT try to lube the throttle cable itself, they don't need it.

Note that when you do get spark your crankcase will be filled with gas, pull your plug and run it up the street and back to blow it before you try to start it ;-}

That should get you on the right track.

Jacob561

Jul 8, 2013
Fl
Okay so I fixed all the problems and actually got the bike to start up using the 16:1 oil ratio. It ran good for about 10 minutes and I parked it. I tried to start it back up 5 minutes later and the engine kept sounding like it was wanting to turn over but wouldn't. Yes I've kept peddling, yes there is fuel going from the tank through the hose to the carb, I've got spark but its with their crappy chingchong stock piece. Eventually get tired and slow to a stop after about 10 seconds of peddling and listening to the disappointing sounds of failure.

I plan on taking the carb apart and checking to see if a fuel lines clogged or something. Any suggestions ?:-||

Great appreciation

Jacob561

Jul 8, 2013
Fl
I tried starting it this morning and the motor won't even make the sound like it wants to kick in anymore. The spark plug cracked at little when I was adjusting the gap but it still started up like that the first time...Help !!! I don't want to drain the carb and do unnecessary things if its as simple as buying a new plug. Problem is also I can't find anyone with the NGKs in my size . Where is a good place to go in Florida ? Sears ? Advanced autoparts doesn't have them, neither do pep boys but than again I just asked a person there.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
16;1 is FAR too much oil for any engine to run right.
Switch to 32:1 and buy a new plug.
Cracked means useless when it comes to spark plugs.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When you say it doesn't turn over, do you mean the clutch is slipping, or do you mean the motor is turning over but it's just not firing?

Jacob561

Jul 8, 2013
Fl
The clutch is not slipping and I bought an NGKB6HS. Kicked in right away 2 times. I came to a stop sign and pulled the clutch while it was running. Figuring this is how you idle, and she refused to come back to life, I cleaned the spark plug off and tested for spark again, also I dismantled the carb and reassembled it. Its the NS speed carb, there seems to be a problem getting fuel into the engine because when I prime it the gas goes down the hose when I push down and when I release it gets sucked back up in the hose. I've read that the tank can create a vacuum. But I don't want to start drilling all Willy nilly lol. Let me know what you think. The clutch also doesn't get pulled 30degrees. Its more like 10-15 but it can be engaged and disengaged, I think. First bike so I don't know much lol tell me if this matters too. But for those 20 minutes when the bike ran I felt like I could accomplish anything lol. I'm looking forward to getting back on the road asap

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Loosen your gas cap and see it runs. There's a common problem with gas caps not being vented properly.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I bought an NGKB6HS. Kicked in right away 2 times. I came to a stop sign and pulled the clutch while it was running. Figuring this is how you idle, and she refused to come back to life,
I cleaned the spark plug off and tested for spark again
Are you still trying to run this thing on 16:1 gas:oops:il mix? And what oil exactly are you using, not motor oil I hope?

Have you pulled the plug and with the gas off pedaled it around to blow all the crap out of the crankcase yet?
It is fruitless asking for help and ignoring the most basic but most important stuff.

Jacob561

Jul 8, 2013
Fl
I switched it up to about 25:1 and its high quality 2stroke motorcycle oil.I tried to start it and it seemed like no gas was getting into the engine I smelled the ne sparkplug w NGKBP7HS and didn't even smell like gas, I poured a few drips of the mixture directly into the engine still wouldn't start. Took gas cap off still wouldn't. Than the spark plug cap from the cdi fell off and I don't know if connecting the wire directly would be a good idea or not. I'm at my wits end on this hunk of junk

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
stripping back the insulation will allow you to wrap the copper wire around top of plug, then put a nut there to hold it

Jacob561

Jul 8, 2013
Fl
I peddle without the sparking in to try and clear it if it was flooded, didn't do anything. Still stuck and wanting to hang myself foe spending 600$ for the bike and parts