Help, Speedo is failing

GoldenMotor.com

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
My bike speedo drive sprocket seems to be on the verge of biting the dist. It no longer reads an accurate speed, but swings the needle all over the place. The piece that runs in the spokes seems to be breaking as it has movements in the X and Y axis. Shifts up and down while rotating.

Anyone know where to get a replacement. I am also thinking about somehow mounting that piece solid to the wheel. Any Ideas?

Pick is of the assembly, the piece that moves is the gold part, its a stuert warner speedo assembly

Attachments

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I've never had a lot of faith in those mechanical Speedo's. I got one from Spooky Tooth once and after I back calculated the rpm scale vs. the mph scale I figured it would be accurate on a something like a 32" diameter wheel. Most bike shops will carry a wired speedometer that senses a magnet attached to the spokes for $20 - $30. The wireless ones are a lot more expensive. I recommend that you stay away from Blackburn. It was difficult to program and always had problems. I've since switched to a Cateye Velo5 and it is much simpler and so far more reliable.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
The electronics are more accurate and have no moving parts but some have reported problems with erroneous readings from interference from the sparkplug.
I have a Stewart-Warner on mine. Rockin' it Old Skool...

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
don't give up on your old school speedometer. I have one from the 1972 made in france. and it still works fine. as far as accurate. how accurate do you need to be?

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Well, I re adjusted it and mounted the sprocket to the front wheel, when riding in today, it read better than it ever has. think I got it working again. Thanks for all the ideas guys

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
Well, I re adjusted it and mounted the sprocket to the front wheel, when riding in today, it read better than it ever has. think I got it working again. Thanks for all the ideas guys
A little Tri-Flo or moly lube down in the workin' bits on that speedo drive probably wouldn't hurt things, either.
scratg