Gas tank alternatives

GoldenMotor.com

orbit222

Aug 9, 2008
My Mtb bike frame is small and the tank really gets in my way as I ride. (I stand up alot) I've solved this by mounting the teardrop backwards on a rack and I love the way it rides. It looks dumb though and you loose the functionality of the rack. Anyone know where I can get a small rectangular tank that would work? Ideally it would fit the rack and i could bungie stuff on top of it. Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

Last edited:

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Olive oil can, available in 3 or 4 litre.

I successfully soldered brass fittings on one today.

Its going to be a drop tank.

schwallyjdog

Feb 11, 2009
Bellevue Ohio
Go to sick bike parts. Com and look at the Gary fisher on the home page. I've seen these on the web before but can't remember where. Ask them at sbp and maybee they can help

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Small gas tanks like those on push mowers or small tillers would seem ideal . check your nearest wrecking yard in the piles of discarded yard & garden equiptment .

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Find a guy who fixes snow blowers and generators on the side. Look in Craigslist or Kijiji.
They have great black plastic tanks that hold a gallon or two.

orbit222

Aug 9, 2008
Go to sick bike parts. Com and look at the Gary fisher on the home page. I've seen these on the web before but can't remember where. Ask them at sbp and maybee they can help
Yep, I've seen that one too, I think it's a Gravely tank, cool but I'm stuck on the rectangle shape. All the lawn stuff I've seen are one gallon and over and I was hoping to stick to around 2 quarts which fits my commute both ways with little to spare- thus no extra weight. If I had a nickel for every mower tank I've looked at I could have one made for me! Right now I'm thinking of making a fiberglass tank custom to the spot using west system epoxy. They say it works if you mix a hardener rich mix. Just hate to waste the time as I feel the right thing has to be out there i just haven't found it. maybe I should just buck up and buy a tig.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Don't mind the looks of mine, I'm just using it until I get mine built but this holds about a quart and is off a Honda snow blower. It fits under the seat.

Attachments

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Here is a small generator tank. You could load stuff on top. My local tool rental shop has one sitting outside because the guy says they are not worth fixing. You just have to hunt.

Attachments

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
This is my $.02 worth on a rear mounted gas tank for mountain bikes:

Go to the grocery store buy a small aluminum Heinkins beer keg, invite all my MAB friends for a party, drink the beer, mount the small kit supplied peanut tank inside the keg, and ride off. This way you can have looks, and would not have to mount, (weld), a filler cap and the gas shutoff valve. The tank could be fastened inside the keg using JB weld.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not sure if I'll use this on my Schwinn Jaguar build but I couldn't pass it up for $5.00 at a motorcycle junk yard last week. It was on an 80cc Yamaha dirt bike. The deep saddle lets it ride very low, almost too low, but I can live with that. It looks big compared with the China Girl tank but its not out of proportion on the bike because the kit tanks always look too small to me. I keep you posted.
Tom

Attachments