Hey all from NW Arkansas in the Ozarks ... This is going to be fun!

GoldenMotor.com

LaughingSinner

Feb 1, 2016
Arkansas
My wife and I have a small pub in one of the coolest little towns in the USA and this is going to make living here even more fun.

I do need some advice and I appreciate any and all suggestions. I am really looking for the easiest build to start with and get more complicated as I learn. I dont heal as fast as I use to and I am going to take this a bit slower than my usual projects. I was thinking about a Panama Jack and a 49cc motor kit to put on it. I wont be going fast at all and frankly due to the hills around here this will be more for cruising slow and exploring the side streets.

And to all of you here, thanks in advance for what will be nonstop advice asking!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the community, Sinner. You've come to the right place to get started with your first motorized bike project.

Your choice of the Panama Jack is okay. Many have been motorized by members here. Try typing 'Panama Jack' into the 'Search' box and you'll have some reading to do about that particular bike.

For hilly terrain you might want to explore installing a larger rear sprocket than comes in some kits. Typically we recommend something in the 40 tooth range but for better hill climbing performance you might want to go to a 44, 48 or even bigger if you're a big guy. This will slow down your top speed but will help you over those Ozark hills.

Good luck and we're always here to offer help, advice and assistance if/when you need it.

Tom

LaughingSinner

Feb 1, 2016
Arkansas
Thanks 2Door.

Yeah, with my size I am definitely in need of torque! Last thing anyone needs to see is a sweaty, chubby guy pushing a motor bike up a hill...

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Welcome to the forum. Wal-Mart also has the 99.00 buck Huffy Cranbrook that's ls pretty plug and play and looks pretty nice. My son and a friend just built one in a couple of easy eves he has exactly 203.00 bucks into it total. He will add a front squeeze brake is all. For the Cranbrook you need to make sure the gas tank comes with the angled bung on the gas tank to clear the double bottom bars with the fuel petcock installed, theirs had it and so they lucked out. I do have a link of where they bought their kits and was impressed with all the components that came with it and that it had the special angled fuel bung and also included the extra engine front clamp for the wider front bar. It was like it was made for the Cranbrook. All you have to alter is the grind down one welded on lower washer used for the lower water bottle bolts. There are vids on you tube specifically for motorizing this bike. The sprocket also has to be installed dish side out for clearance and or chain alignment. Just Remove or reinforce the fenders for safety and watch the welds. The Panama is known to crack at the rear seat stays were the luggage rack is welded as the metal gets softened near the weld. I was amazed that they have so little money invested in what looks like a fairly solid bike for the money with 12 gauge spokes and a 50s style. It has orange stripe tires and seat with silver blue paint. I am planning on building one also before summer, what can one get for 200 bucks besides a half a cart of food at the grocery store.
Here is a pict of his build before the final chain was installed.

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Here is a Close Up shot of the double angled fuel bung on gas tank needed for the Huffy Cranbrook ( not all gas tanks in these kits are the same, most kits come with the straight fuel bung) What was so cool is the fuel shut off faces the seat and is the handiest spot I have ever seen a fuel valve end up on any Motorcycle or motorbike.
- I've seen people even saw out one of the bars to install the fuel petcock. Yikes. Just tape dope the threads, use the little red washer in kit, toss the upper fuel screen in the trash and install the petcock before the tank is installed on the bike. I hope I saved someone a heap of frustration for a future Cranbrook or other double bar cruiser builders. Perfection by sheer luck.
dance1

Attachments

Last edited:

jamesar

Jan 18, 2016
united states
Hello NW ar,I'm in NE OK not far from you,I have a build on an Huffy Cranbrook,and also a Schwinn New City,I like them both,the Huffy is built like a tank,after nearly two month of riding the Huffy,60 miles in the last three days,I inspected the wheel bearings,all was well.I added a squeeze brake to the back wheel,I would like some kind of shocks or springs in the front,maybe later.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
This is great! Thanks to all and now I have some really good options... Yeah, this is getting addictive already!
If your going to use fenders on any bike you need to notch them for chain clearance so get some plastic automotive u channel door edge trim from any auto parts and trim the 9 x1 inch notch and it will look factory and no sharp edges. and always reinforce the fenders and attachment points many threads on this. use the search engine.

Attachments

biker61

Mar 31, 2016
Siloam Springs, ar
Welcome to the community, Sinner. You've come to the right place to get started with your first motorized bike project.

Your choice of the Panama Jack is okay. Many have been motorized by members here. Try typing 'Panama Jack' into the 'Search' box and you'll have some reading to do about that particular bike.

For hilly terrain you might want to explore installing a larger rear sprocket than comes in some kits. Typically we recommend something in the 40 tooth range but for better hill climbing performance you might want to go to a 44, 48 or even bigger if you're a big guy. This will slow down your top speed but will help you over those Ozark hills.

Good luck and we're always here to offer help, advice and assistance if/when you need it.
I built on a new Panama Jack and then started reading about their failings on this forum.I went out and looked at mine and it was broken clean through just below the lower weld for the luggage rack,I had been riding it that way and didn't realize it. I welded the crap out of it and after a few days it looked okay but I had a lot of vibration in the seat.I remounted the engine very solid and the rear sprocket checked and nearly perfectly straight,still vibrated so I cut off the luggage rack,problem solved and no problems since but I wouldnt build on one of those again,My first build ,a Huffy Cranbrook is still going well and my brother has it.Just thought I would put this info out here so people would know.I have a Huffy Regatta with the same rack,guess I'll just pedal it or trade for something else.