Top results with Castor @ 30%

GoldenMotor.com

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
Hello eveyone,

Well it took a few tanks of fuel to adjust but my engine is definitely loving the castor oil I am using. I am using Castrol r30 with motul sythetic at 30%/70% proportions and at 32:1 with 95 octane fuel. It seems to not run as well with the regular unleaded here in Australia, my feeling is that the castor is not mixing as well.

Amazed at how responsive the engine is now. Before the engine character changed after a half hour with a sense of more friction overall and less response. Not any more! the castor seems to cling to the moving parts amazingly well even when hot. From what I gather this is because castor oil is more polar so it sticks better to hot negatively charged metal.

I highly recommend using castor at 30% with your regular oil.

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Trust me, you will have more carbon build up and sludge with castor oil.
There's a reason that synthetic 2 stroke oil was developed.
I use to race a 2 cycle Sachs engine on a go kart and used castor oil.
It's not used much today with the advent of the synthetic oils.

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
There is carbon build up on the cylinder head but I have decided it is worth it and not too bad at 30%. Having said that I would not use castor in a modern well-made 2-stroke engines however I feel that the low tolerences and extra friction in the HT engines make it worth the carbon build up as I have just witnessed it out perform motul 800t factory line.

I have used mainly Motul 800t factory line oil, top of the line synthetic and I have played around with other oils but castor is the only oil which keeps the engine performance from dropping after a long sustained run and a hot engine. Rides which normally leave my engine uncomfortably hot and feeling dry and 'angry' have been fixed with the r30.

I was surprised that it has had such a positive effect so I thought I would share it with you all :)

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Based on your observations, castor may be a good choice for these primitive engines. I have a 4 cycle and love it.
The only other comment I would have is to watch the carbon build up in the ring lands. Two cycles are known to snap rings due to carbon build up and the castor oil is notorious for creating that build up.
If it works great for you, that's certainly good enough reason to continue to use it!
Thanks..

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Cool! The Castrol R30 is an interesting product. It's not straight Castor.
Castrol R30 link

The additives may help with storage.

Somewhere around here I have a post about my castor mix. I use Sig PURE castor mixed with Amsoil Dominator. I totally agree with the positive effects. Only once did I go a little heavy on the Castor in a gasohol mix....not good, I had stringers on the plug fouling it completely.

I'm running Dominator at about 30:1 right now, with 1/4-1/2 oz of Castor/gallon on top of that. Seems like a good fall mix.

Found this: http://motorbicycling.com/f13/got-my-quart-castor-oil-1462.html#post43358

Last edited:

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
Well I guess the benefits DONT outweigh the build up. Just spent hours trying to remove soem serious hard brown stuff of my piston and the rings. Lucky I checked in time because The build up just above the top ring had started to scuff the cylinder wall!!

No Good at all! This little experiment is over for me. do you think this is my r30? Do you other castor users have such nasty build up that is really hard to remove?

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Well I guess the benefits DONT outweigh the build up. Just spent hours trying to remove soem serious hard brown stuff of my piston and the rings. Lucky I checked in time because The build up just above the top ring had started to scuff the cylinder wall!!

No Good at all! This little experiment is over for me. do you think this is my r30? Do you other castor users have such nasty build up that is really hard to remove?
When I used castor in my Sachs racing kart engine, we tore the engine down after every second race to clean it. I doubt that many Chinese engine users want to get that involved in engine maintenance in order to enjoy the bennies from castor oil.
I personally would not use castor anymore...period.
There's more than enought synthetic two stroke oils available which are much superior for everyday use.
Just my humble opinion though.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
That sounds...not like something anybody's wife would appreciate.
It's OK you can always put the part in the dishwasher to rinse it after the crock pot hot bath* :ride:rotfl

*ONLY KIDDING. Strong dishwashing Or other akaline cleaner may etch aluminum.

I'm neither condoning or condeming "the crock pot method". But it sure would be a hoot for Halloween!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, ya' buy your own crock pot guys. Or you can say "Well, honey, you won't have to make that "stew" you make any more.....

Speaking of etching- If you want to make your engine a nice flat black, spray on some EZ Off oven cleaner and let sit. Rinse thoroughly.. VOILA! Flat black "anodizing".

Yes, I have done it several times on model plane engines and one China engine.
Don't let it get inside the ports.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
hmmm, maybe I should do that to my new motor that's on the way....I'm going to paint my bike a hammered-finish charcoal most likely anyway...

How long do you let it sit?

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
That's the brown egnine crud that's offending not my wife!

My Bi-tron e.p. metal treatment arrives tomorrow. I have high hopes for it will report soon