Trying to find info on this bike

GoldenMotor.com

bluemichael927

Jan 22, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Everyone, I am a newbie collector. I just came across and bought a kind of unique bike. I am not sure if it was a kit back int he day or some shade tree mechanics project but here are some details:

The guy I bought it for said it was an early doodlebug kick start or a briggs.

It looks like some of the parts came from vintage whizzers.
throttle and choke, flywheel.

Cool leather style drum brake setup.

Jockey shift style clutch, and left foot brake, and unique motor mount, no pedals on this bad boy.

Does anyone have any idea what this bike is or where it came from.

It does not look restored but is a bit roached although the engine is free.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas it is much appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've never seen any bicycle like it. Great find! Look's like it's maybe a custom build using some whizzer parts. I'm pretty sure the rear belt drive is whizzer, but I can't quite tell from the pics. Engine looks like a briggs from the flywheel side...but I'm not an expert.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks like a home-built bike. The kick start mechanism isn't like the one that was on my 'Doodlebug' mini bike. It might be a Briggs engine but it's surely an oldy. Looks like 24" wheels and 26" fenders. Maybe 50s vintage? Is there a head badge on it? Interesting project. What do you plan to do with it?

Tom

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
It's absolutely beautiful as it is... the stem, the fork and wheels look to be from a H.P. Snyder built Hawthorne or Rollfast...probably 1940's. The Frame could easily be the same... can't say for sure... I have a similar one (original without motor)... the only big difference I see between the two is that yours has a straight bar (under your tank) and mine is curved. I would have to say that the fenders and bars...and possibly the saddle are all from something else.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I think the rear sheave definitely looks like a Whizzer item. I also feel it's a homemade bike. Even the crudest old production bikes had a simple but elegant look to them. The Briggs motors were used in a lot of scooters, but I'm not sure about bikes. It would be great if you could get everything working. Let me know if you need ignition parts. I have a couple of those old four screw mounted coils and some points and condensers. All used of course.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That bike is sweet!
I agree with other members here, it looks to be home made from years ago.
It is awesome that it has survived in such good shape. I really like the patina it has.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Wow, that is a really nice bike. I'm no expert on older American bicycles, but that definitely has the look of somebody's homebuilt bike from a long time ago. It would be really great to rebuild it and get it going again, but do try to leave enough of the patina in evidence so that it's plain it's a genuine old one.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Hawthorne, it looks like. Sruggs& Hawthorne but I'm guessing. Saw one as a child. They milled sugar, grain. Atherton Hawthorne, Milton Scruggs, I just remember Dad talking to uncle Ed.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That looks like a newer style motor more like 1 1/2 hp,( still cast iron ) it has the flo-jet carb and the kick start is eather home made or a newer version. It apears to be a recoil start spinner with a gear atached. Sure is a cool build for the time it was built,clever way to add another tube for jackshaft..............Curt

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i agree with the homebuilt crowd. too clunky to be a factory made bike, but cool, nevertheless.

the frame was definitely chopped up and modified. the straight bar and the way the top tube blends into the rear seat stays behind the seat tube (that squished oval tube) reminds me of an old columbia, probably early 40's. but a lot of bikes were made by the same companies, so an exact ID would be tough.

you could sign up at the CABE and ask. any serial numbers on the frame?

parts-wise, you've got some good stuff. the handlebars and that "long spring saddle" are pretty rare items.

so... does it run?

bluemichael927

Jan 22, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
wow thanks for all the amazing input!!! I had a feeling it was home built, and it currently does not run, missing a few items. I am going to steam clean it and rip out the motor so I can see the guts... other than that plans include just getting this baby running and keeping it as she sits....

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Do you have the flywheel cover it has the engine numbers on it.

Sure is a clever idea for kick start................Curt