Lady In Need of Advice

GoldenMotor.com

TyDow

Sep 10, 2008
Wisconsin
Hi Friends!

I am in a very difficult situation. My boyfriend and I decided to try and sell motor bikes, maybe one or two a month for some extra spending cash. We ordered an engine from China and he put it together. Everyone seems to love it. My problem is I can't seem to get my boyfriend to want to research or ask questions or take any part in learning what it takes to keep these engines running. I guess I am an old school gal. I like to research and learn all I can about a product. My boyfriend on the other hand is still relying on the methods he used to build go-carts from when he was 8 years old. He is now 44!!! I guess with him being an auto mechanic for almost 25 years has something to do with it also. I just can't get him to want to learn anything until something goes wrong. My question is, should I leave him alone and let him do his thing? I really want to sell these bikes but I don't want anything to go wrong or put anyone in danger. I have been thinking of hiring a semi retired person or student to put the engines together for me but I don't want to cause any problems within our relationship. Oh what is a girl to do??? Am I over reacting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I did not offend anyone by asking this question, but I am stomped!

Thanks in Advance

:)

Last edited:

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
There really is a lot to these bikes even if you are mechanicallly inclined. You should keep on him to learn. If it wasn't for my wife I would be all messed up.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
TyDow, WELCOME TO THE FORUM, I AM FROM WI. 80 MI EAST OF TWIN CITIES. HAVE BEEN IN FL. FOR NEAR 20 YRS. AM IN THE PROCESS OF ASSEMBLING AND SELLING ALSO. I STRONGLEY BELIEVE THIS FORUM IS THE BEST THING , ESPECIALLY IN YOUR CASE. SO MUCH INFO, PICTURES AND HELP IS HERE. A GREAT AND FUN LEARNING EXPERIENCE FOR ALL. IF HE COULD GET INTERESTED IN READING THE POSTS AND VIDEOS ETC . I WOULD SAY THIS FORUM IS A NECESSITY IF YOU OWN OR SELL MOTOR BICYLES. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HEADACHES IN THE LONG RUN. IN JANUARY 2008 THERE WAS AROUND 100 MEMBERS TO THIS FORUM, NOW OVER 2000, FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. KEEP POSTING, THANKS FOR SHARING. RON :ride2:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
hi!
fairracing 31,
i would like to post a topic to the forum, i just dont know how to post it. Can you help me?
Absolutely... Once you have decided which forum you would like to start a new thread in lets say this forum ...Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles - Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum at Motorized Bicycle Forum.... On the left top corner you will see a bronze or gold sprocket that says "New Thread"

Click on new thread type the title of your thread and then type away.

If you need any more help feel free to ask :)

TwoWalks

Jul 13, 2008
Sonora Ca.
Let the poor guy alone and let him do his thing without the learning!!!

When you see he is having a problem, slip quietly away to the computer, find the answer here and print it out.

Now return to the shop, smile, hand the answer to him and silently walk away.

He will get it. rotfl

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
You can lead a mechanic to water but you can't make him drink! You be the smart one! after you show him how to fix it, he might figure it out he and I are not as smart as we think we are. This forum is your overwelming resourse for knowlege :) Show him up rotfl
When you know it all , you win a dirt nap. (c)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

When you see he is having a problem, slip quietly away to the computer, find the answer here and print it out.

He will get it. rotfl

Great advice!

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK

He will get it. rotfl
nope...

He will pout, sulk, argue until you walk out of the room - at which point he will quietly implement the fix suggested and not say a word about it, unless you bring it up.. at which point he will grunt something non committal and go and fix somthing in the yard... :)

*Then* he'll get it for the next time

Jemma xx

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. He sounds like he knows engines and if he has a real problem just suggest he take a look here. The others here know pretty much how to do most things. If he gets stumped he will most likely come to find that one answer and stick around, He just has to figure out that there are some things that are different about the bikes.

Then again he might actually be one of those guys who does know all there is to know about it. In which case ask him if he wouldn't like to come on board to help people like me, who know almost nothing.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Hello and welcome as well. I made my moto bike as recent as June 08 and discovered this forum shortly after. I have good mechanical knowledge, however I continue to learn alot here about motorized bicycles. Prior to June 08 I didn't even know these kits existed!

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
Nothing about these engines is so complicated that a mechanically inclined person cannot construct a solution for whatever problem comes up. If he is inclined to devote the time to take care of your customers; you guys will do fine. If not, no amount of research will compensate. Perhaps the time spent on research might better be devoted to coming up with an on-point marketing approach. Partnerships sometimes work better with less overlap.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
TyDown,

It sounds like it's time to "woman up" and get yourself some tools and learn about these motors and begin to work on them yourself. This could set the best example. You can learn by reading, doing, watching, listening, or any combination of all of those.

Somehow I'd bet where ever these motors are being built in China, there are women on an assembley line helping build them. They aren't heavy and building motorized bikes could be done by women. Where I lived there was an all woman's lawnmower shop and the girls could work on about anything. They had their computers, tools, elevated stands so they could work on stuff without killing their backs etc.

If you build bikes and sell them as custom pieces then you won't be doing repair work, welding & grinding etc. You just put the things together. Just make the customer aware that he can come to this forum and begin to learn as he rides. If you wish to slowly get into tuning and adjusting the set up
you can slowly get into it that way. As far as doing motor work on these, the basic lawnmower repair skills should support that effort. But to try and operate a machine shop to do specialized work....the purchase of a new or larger cc motor would be more practicle.

If I pursued this it would be to offer high fuel milage alternates during these economic times with working people and students in mind. As for kids wanting a Jr. Motorcycle they can race around on, you may be expected
to spend too much time at maintenance to keep those running each week. Those wanting a high fuel milage alternative will likely take care of the machinery in order to keep it serving them well and avoiding down time.

You just have to survey your skills and calculate your nitche.

Last edited:

lilius

Oct 11, 2008
Philippines
guys,
know im from asia, and i am one of those motorists that are very curious about engine modification. i have a 100cc 4-stroke engine, modified for drag racing and it can run as much as 80mph not at full speed yet but motor is at high rev already...., know, even as 80cc 2-stroke here were modified for drag race. there were many racing teams established here, unfortunately, im not a memeber of those.
just this past few years, china motors have invaded the motor world here, all i can say is that, these engines need maintenance, but, although mechanically it differs a lot to japan made engines, most of its parts will match..(depends on the model)
________________________-

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Screw it! hahaha

Tell him another mechanic will get it straightened out if he's not interested!

Pleanty of others willin to get dirty out there!

Please take this reply w/grain of salt! Only joking!

Last edited:

lilius

Oct 11, 2008
Philippines
yeah, another mechanic would do, for the mean time.... but, personal vested interest for your own personal business would help a lot hen it comes to savings -----dah!!!