oil in clutch

GoldenMotor.com

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i have a 48cc skyhawk took my bike for a long ride it started running poor like it was fouling and had no power it made it home ithought it was carb trouble or fouled plug both seemed ok but i noticed a lot of oil in clutch cover did i blow the upper half(rings and piston) i would appreciate some feedback
thanks,
glennbo

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
i have a 48cc skyhawk took my bike for a long ride it started running poor like it was fouling and had no power it made it home ithought it was carb trouble or fouled plug both seemed ok but i noticed a lot of oil in clutch cover did i blow the upper half(rings and piston) i would appreciate some feedback
thanks,
glennbo
Hey there Glenn, welcome to the forum. It sounds to me like there is a bad casting of your crankcase perhaps which usually results in the aluminum being paper thin and porous or pin hole like. You may be losing compression because of it, thus the engine running poorly and the reason for the oily residue inside the clutch housing, as that's not normal. Just a little food for thought. Any more descriptions of the engines behavior would certainly be of help in diagnosing your problem here. I'm sure others will chime in here with their wisdom as well. Cheers, scotto-

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
sounds like the crank seal to me too ,behind the little gear,poor running may have been the lack of confined crankcase volume mixture beacause of the seal letting air/mix transfer into the clutch area instead of pushing up to the combustion chamber,and leaving oil residue

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes, an oil seal it could very well be and is more likely than a bad engine case casting. The only reason I mentioned it is because that's what happened to one of my crankcases, but just outside of the clutch housing. So the case was letting the compression escape into the atmosphere, instead of into the clutch housing. This was easily fixed however by cleaning the thin cast area with MEK and then applying a thin film of silicon (RTV) to the outside of the crankcase. This was much easier than having to replace an oil seal.

Look at your oil seal, does it look like it's leaking from there?