Fuel additives?safe?

GoldenMotor.com

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I am curious of a product called Seafoam,It is a fuel additive that is supposed to be good in 2 stroke engines.It is supposed to be a stabilizer as well as a cleaner and claims to restore power.
has anyone had any experience with this or a similar product,I thought a cleaner would be a good Idea

easyrider1

May 15, 2009
central ill.
i'm not a 100% sure on this but, seafoam is a cleaner and you put oil in the gas to lubrcate the internals. it would seam to me that the seafoam would dilute or make ineffective the oil or take away its lubricity thus really messing up an engine. if you try it let us know how it worked out. or better yet call the company that makes seafoam and ask them.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
The only additive I use is a good Synthetic plus Castor oil mix.
Slightly richer than most recommend.
16 to 1 I am now at 100 plus degrees when I ride.
When I stop a a light the waste heat from the air cooled engine is leaving marks on the inside on my left thigh , OUCH
For some reason I always put my left foot on the ground when I stop???

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Seafoam is the shizziola when use as directed. DO NOT add more than the can says. I works great and is one of the few additives I would recommend for a two stroke engine.

You don't need it all the time. I would recommend Stabil (once again, don't over do it) when putting the bike up for a period of time.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I've used Seafoam in my 2 stroke outboard motor. It really clears out the carbon buildup. A local guy said to pour a can of Seafoam (I think its 16 ozs) in a gallon container then top the rest off with gas and oil. Then run that mixture 10mins. Turn it off and let it sit for 20-30mins then repeat the process. Each time you fire it back up it smokes out all that black carbon. One guy even let it sit over night. I've never gone overnight. But it does work for cleaning out the engine of carbon and my motor did idle smoother.
Hope that helps

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
The reason I was asking was about carbon build up,I guess there is a reason they tell us to run synthetic,It seems very difficult where I live to find a fully synth 2 stroke oil,so I was running with a marine outboard 2 stroke oil (I procured about a case of it from uncle joes garage) after a few weeks I was running like Sh###,yesterday I checked the exhaust and it looked like a coal mine in there,I cleaned it as best I could without making a project of it then rode about 5 miles with good improvement,I stopped at the parts store and bought this seafoam on reccomend,It says about 1 oz per gal more to clean less to maintain so I put 3 capfuls in a tank about 2/3 full,mabey its all in my head but within a mile I noticed a positive difference,I have several hills I use for testing,I am about 230# and if the bike gets up the hill fine I know its ok.LOL I did notice better preformance before I became unemployed and gained 20#,In short I think the seafoam was a good idea,however I will measure more accurate next fill......Thanx guys

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
The only additive I use is a good Synthetic plus Castor oil mix.
Slightly richer than most recommend.
16 to 1 I am now at 100 plus degrees when I ride.
When I stop a a light the waste heat from the air cooled engine is leaving marks on the inside on my left thigh , OUCH
For some reason I always put my left foot on the ground when I stop???
I would think if it was good the engine would be running cooler correct me if I am wrong,last time I was running super hot it was about a head gasket and a crack in the housing.......just a thought.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
He's talking about the outside ambient temperature. Bullhead city is HOT, and I do not mean that in a good way!

Edit: I forgot to add that the hot outside therefore causes the engine to run hotter! Air cooled is not real good in Arizona in the summer.

Last edited: