Chain tension problems

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I know alot of people on the forum talk about chain tension problems. The best solution is if we didn't have to use the tensioner, but that doesnt always work even with an offst link.
I made a pretty simple modification to the standard kit tensioner that seems to work pretty well. I added a short piece of flat stock, a couple bronze washers, and a small spring. I also throw away their idler and make one out of Delrin. That way you don't need to use a roller bearing, it is the bearing.
It seems to work very well, we will see how long it lasts. I can always go to a larger spring if it fails.

Attachments

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
thats a sweet set-up, for certain. spring-loaded really helps when your sprocket isnt trued 100% on its axis.

nathaniel: you may get more response, if you'd post your problem as its own thread, in the General Discussion area. reason i say that, is more people will probably see it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've alway been interested in the spring loaded chain tesioners, but I wonder if when you use engine braking that the top of the chain might "flop' real bad & maybe bunch up in the engine...???
Anyone know???

Airbuzz

Aug 16, 2008
Ooh. Very good. Simple and straight forward. Creative Engineering guy oughta see this.