Just been ripped off...

GoldenMotor.com
Jun 25, 2008
Had one fine member (feel free to come forward and "testify!") of this delightful community get in touch to buy a complete wheel with sprocket mounted on a custom Hub.

"No problem" said I and due to his admirable membership, and the fact we didn't have em in stock i granted the member free shipping to the US as a bit of a thank you.
Any hoo after a bit the member got in touch.

Turns out we'd been taken for a ride!

The bad supplier had shafted me AND him and here's how.

The member didn't recieve the wheel, instead the member recieved just the HUB and sprocket.
We paid for the shipping of a wheel, which the supplier obviously pocketed as a hub would be vastly cheaper.

Got in touch in a jiffy with PayPal,

Filed a "significantly not as described" claim. PayPal ruled the following

"We're unable to decide this claim in your favour at this time. PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy applies to the delivery
of goods but not to disputes about merchandise quality."

RUBBISH!!!!

Phoned the jerks up, and here's the kicker.

They can't refund because the item was not bought through eBay!
Apparently (and the advisor confirmed this) when paying a paypal invoice
lets say for a bicycle, the seller can send you a paper aeroplane and PayPal
STILL would not decide in your favour.

The only reason we use them is for
the so called protection they offer ourselves and our customers.

This means, as much as it makes my teeth itch! at this moment in time, we
can only refund the profit made on the transaction. Which itself is an issue as we made a pitiful amount and you have to have the currency waiting, which we don't.

BEWARE BUYERS, BEWARE SELLERS PayPal DO NOT have your back.

I can't apologies enough to the member concerned, if you're happy to, feel free to back me up on this. Again really sorry for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 25, 2008
If they fail to rectify this then we will of course name and shame. However they have been exmplary thus far, so we are willing to allow them reasonable time to resolve this.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was not a party in this transaction but I am happy to know that paypal is not honoring their perceived commitment. I have bought items on the net using paypal for the same reason. I guess I'll go back to the credit card there is no difference in the cost to me. The credit card might have done something.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Paypals screwy sometimes like that. I once bought a intermidiate shaft for a Honda from a seller in washington. After waiting almost a month for delivery, with really lazy packing, come to find they sold me a automatic shaft. I needed a manual one. After a 4 week claims case I was beat outta my 50 bux. This was through ebay and I still got hammered. Seller failed to list the item correctly and they still werent found at fault. Sux to here it happens to other ppl as well.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
dont use paypal or e-bay and if you do dont expect it to work or be the right item,
unless its cheap enough and you have money to burn.

plus i could buy a heavyduty 26" bike wheel from a us bike website for like $50-60 and they would send the correct part in 4-5days.
and i would get a sprocket from a engine kit website for like $10-20 and they would send the correct part too.

Last edited:

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Thank you Mike (Tigertoothbikes.com) , for taking care of this for me. I received the refund and I am happy with the amount.

You did exactly what I would have done myself if the role's had been reversed, can't ask for anything more. I sincerely hope that your supplier also dose the right thing and fixes the situation between you and them. You did nothing wrong, It was not your fault, yet you made things right between you and I. Thanks Again.

myke

Jun 25, 2008
Myke, honestly, its no problem at all. The supplier has actually just refunded us so i do believe it was an honest mistake, however it has taught me and hopefully many more a sharp lesson about PayPal's empty claims of 'protection'.

Re the wheel, I'm very surprised indeed your local bike shop don't have 12ga spokes! All imported American cruisers we have over here are sold on the fact the spokes are 12ga! Could be a misconception on my part that all american bikes had them as standard issue. I do remember coming across a few online sellers of 12ga spokes but annoyingly for me in the UK they they're all US based. If i can dig up some names i'll pass em on.

Anyways, happy MB'ing Myke and welcome to crazy gang!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Had A Simular Problem With Paypal. I Paid Viza Motors In Az $206. For A 43cc Mitshi Motor With Paypal. After 6 Weeks And No Motor I Opened A Dispute With Paypal. They Informed Me That The Seller Was Outside Of Ebay (not A Ebay Sale) They Could Not Nelp Me. I Got The Motor A Couple Days Shy Of 3 Months After Paying. It Was My First Mab Purchase. Its Still In The Box, Hard To Find Item These Days. I Have Approx 90 Purchases On Ebay And They Have All Been Successful. I Think If Your Purchase Is Thru Ebay You Are Covered. They Have No Power Over Outside Sellers. I Make Great Buys On Ebay. I Make Offers, Often Surprised By Savings. Most Of Them Will Deal. Ron

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I Think If Your Purchase Is Thru Ebay You Are Covered. They Have No Power Over Outside Sellers. I Make Great Buys On Ebay. I Make Offers, Often Surprised By Savings. Most Of Them Will Deal. Ron
PayPal has always been there for me, when dealing on EBay. Three times so far, the PayPal police have gone after bad sellers and got my money back. They do take a bit of time, but they have yet to fail in helping me out, when I need it.

Thanks for the heads up however, concerning them outside EBay. I didn't know they were like that.