Brown Leather seat&bag

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have been looking for an antique style seat and trunk bag. (saddle bags, but many manufactures call them this, dunno) Carol and I stopped in a wally world we had never been to before to pick up some thing unrelated. As always, had to check out the bikes. Found an awesome seat and what they call a "roll tote bag" It is the shape of a can but much larger, and mounts on the handle bars or seat. Exactly the look I was trying for. Still looking for saddle bags, I went to wally worlds web site but could not find the ones I had just bought. Went to Bellbikestuff.com (bell's site) and it wasn't there either. Searched specifically for those items and walmart.ca (Canada) carrys them but not the US stores. I just got lucky. Any way, thought I would post/share. The pics do them no justice. They look way better in non-cycber MB world.

Saddle

Roll/bag

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
You're right Dan, those are nice looking in person. The local wallyworlds have them here, too. I, like you, ALWAYS head right for the bike section first. (in any store I go to now) I want the bag, only in black, to put under the seat of the Madwagon.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
There are a bunch that style in black but the ones I have found were big bucks. Brooks England Shop online has some nice stuff but crazy expensive. (actually looked at price, not terrible, $80) Would look great on the Madwagon.

Wonder if waly world "pleather" could be dyed?

How do you turn brown leather boots into full black, without making it look like its been painted, or damaging? - Yahoo! Answers

Found a bunch. Cool learned some thing there. Apparently dyes made for leather will work on imitation leathers too.

Tarrago Self Shine Color Dye Kit with Preparer No.18 Black OUR BEST SELLING DYE (OUR DYES ARE NOT PAINT) IS ON SALE NOW!!!! MOST POPULAR COLOR!!! NOW THE BEST IS EVEN CHEAPER!!! | Devayani Online

Found a ton, just showing that one as an example. Thats pretty cool. It will come up for me some day although I like the classic brown pleather just like Grand Dad had. lol. (pleather, even the name is "odd")

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
I had thought about the dye, but was afraid it would run or look funny. Plus there is the laziness thing. :) I am going to try to wait them out at wallyworld. Maybe they will get some black ones in. I looked at the Brooks link, but I like the one that you got because of the end pieces that keep it round even when empty.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Ever look for "real" saddlebags? Just gotta shorten the center "strap" some. Easy enough with a hole punch and latigo lacing. Same with securing the bags to the rear rack. The bags can be found used and new ones can cost way less than motorcycle saddle bags. I've even seen them for sale out here. You wouldn't think it, but we do have working ranches on most of the islands. ;)

Btw, try checking places like Cabela's or any of those big name hunting/fishing suppy stores. I recall seeing saddle bags for sale in some of their catalogs. Plain and simple, no frills. The also sell pomel bags, which might look cool draped over the gas tank.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I had thought about the dye, but was afraid it would run or look funny. Plus there is the laziness thing. :) I am going to try to wait them out at wallyworld. Maybe they will get some black ones in. I looked at the Brooks link, but I like the one that you got because of the end pieces that keep it round even when empty.
Found some good lookin' black ones, (with GF's idea) pretty cheap. Dunno if they stay round open though.

Leather Motorcycle Saddlebags, Toolbags & Sissy Bags
Ever look for "real" saddlebags? Just gotta shorten the center "strap" some. Easy enough with a hole punch and latigo lacing. Same with securing the bags to the rear rack. The bags can be found used and new ones can cost way less than motorcycle saddle bags. I've even seen them for sale out here. You wouldn't think it, but we do have working ranches on most of the islands. ;)

Btw, try checking places like Cabela's or any of those big name hunting/fishing suppy stores. I recall seeing saddle bags for sale in some of their catalogs. Plain and simple, no frills. The also sell pomel bags, which might look cool draped over the gas tank.
Thanks GF. Good idea. Having trouble finding antique brown, but it opened a lot more options.