pulled studs,loose studs.

GoldenMotor.com

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
has anyone tried punching these studs and replacing them with maybe an 8 or 10 mm? is there enough metal on the casings to do this just a thought on maybe making these things a little stronger.
for sure these china bolts and studs are garbage.
just some other thoughts. have built a huffy cranbrook with a jet 80 from gas buke.net am having the same problems i hear all the time. no power or intermittent power gonna try drilling the carb and sanding the needle, i live at 7200 feet and thought that i was to rich and flooding but i now tend to think im just not getting enough fuel, also installed a honda clone also from gasbike it is on a schwinn jaguar runs good had to extend the notor mount 3 inches. another problem i have is the chain tensioners bite! the roller from tractor supply looks like the cots meow there. so out come the plastic.
and thanks to everyone, also purchased a grubee starfire 49cc just out of the box it LOOKS to be of a much higher quality than the 80cc 2 stroke, any comments on this? once again you guys are all great and thanks for the help. frank

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Frank,
At our altitudes we encounter a rich condition due to the thinner air. I doubt that you're starving for fuel. Your problem is not enough air. Move the 'C' clip on the carb needle up to the top notch and drill some holes in the plastic air cleaner housing. Keep your holes in front of, or before the foam element. I experienced a little performance gain by doing those two things but then I'm about a thousand feet lower than you (6400 MSL) Some guys have reduced the size of the main jet by soldering it closed and redrilling to a smaller sized orifice. I've never felt the need to do this because after break-in, my engine began to perform like I had expected and keeps getting better with age.
Your spark plug is a good indicator of running condition. If you're using the stock, (kit supplied) spark plug, replace it with a better quailty such as the NKG 5 or better yet the 6 plug. The six is a little gotter plug and seems to work well at higher altitudes. Keep us informed on your progress.
Tom

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
ya i have already played with the e clip it doesnt make much difference and ya my plug is staying dark and wet that is why i thought i was rich i guess i should try the jet thing next any suggestion on size? i have a set of orifice bits

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
As far as the studs- are you talking about mounting studs or cylinder studs?

Actually, it does not much matter as my position is the same for both- good quality studs are plenty strong enough and the weal point is the engine case itself, rather than the studs which are of good quality. Don't mess with enlarging the holes, just use better studs.

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
I have a Jaguar, along with the new StarFire Gen II, well..., I don't have it yet. It is on its way.

I was wondering if the hardware upgrade kit from SBP.com would work all around on the Grubee. I read something on here that t he clutch cover was different on the new StarFire engine.
SBP.com Engine Hardware Upgrade Kit

Would it be worth it or should I just go to the hardware store? Just a suggestion.

th3onlyh3k