Got a generator today - Now a question

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2Door, love that Model A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The donuts are there, spokes sandwiched. If you look at the pic, you can see the inboard side. The other one is hidden by the sprocket.
Thanks, Racing,
I want to try the gen thing too. I saw a cheapo at the bike shop for $16. It was a 6V and 3watt. That should be just enought to 'trickle charge' my batt while riding and as far as draining the batt while at rest, if I find I need it, I'll put a diode in the circuit to eliminate that. Let me know how your system is working.
I was also wondering if there was a way to drive one of those little friction type generators from the engine; either belt or friction driven. but the tire mount would work too.
keep in touch,
Tom

Racing421

Dec 28, 2008
Franklin, TN
OK, well the weather here in Nashville hasn't been the best for riding, but today was pretty nice. My bike has a headlight, a motorcycle tail light with automotive type (1157) dual filament bulbs which draw a good bit of amperage, especially when the brakes are applied. I also put in a horn relay (probably overkill) for the horn. I say all this because your bike setup and current needs are probably different.

Anyway, I rode for about an hour with the lights on, beeped the horn a bit, and cut the switch off when I got home. I have a 6 amp trickle charger with a meter which I connected to the 12 volt battery. It started charging at 3 amps, but quickly dropped to zero in about 15 minutes! My conclusion is the 12 v generator is supplying a charge when riding, but not enough to keep it fully charged. The 3/4" section of heater hose fits perfectly around the top of the generator and keeps the side of the tire from getting chewed up! I'm happy with the results.

Tom, I would recommend NOT getting a 6 volt generator unless you have a 6 volt battery. Just Google 12 volt gen and you will find them. Also, I would definitely put a diode in there, as my ohmmeter shows it will cause a drain.

A little off topic: The Thunderpipe from Barry Wallace looks great, but was a little too loud. He said someone told him a VW bug muffler would fit precisely in the exhaust tube and soften the noise. It worked great!!!!
Also, I found a large dished gas tank cap cover from my local Harley dealer. A few dabs of silicone later, it now makes a nice clutch cover and also quiets things down. Hey, beats a mouse pad!
I also wrapped (one time around only) the motor mounts with a strip of bike inner tube. It has helped for my application, and the motor has not shifted a bit...........just keep the clamps tightened down.
That's all from Nashville. I've got a bad machine. HAPPY MOTORING!

Attachments