Thinking again.....fuel flow/starvation

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just a thought.

Today, I was draning the gas from the bikes that are in storage, and I came upon a thought....

Do you have fuel starvation at the top end? Does your bike surge when trying to run it like you stole it?

Maybe, just maybe it's because the fuel flow from the stock petcock is sooooo poor. I check all of mine, and they ALL flow at barely over a trickle.

It could definitely cause problems like I have read here on a few threads.

Thanks for listening,

Joe

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah the flow from the stock petcock is pretty pathetic. It sounds reasonable to me that it could be an issue.

When I broke my bike down for paint I drained the gas tank by the petcock....boy did that take FOREVER.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Could also be the cause of the "float bowl fuel foaming" phenomena.

Not to mention that a lot of the caps don't vent properly.

Anyhow, if you experience fuel starvation or surging, look at this part of your bicycle motor willya?

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Could also be the cause of the "float bowl fuel foaming" phenomena.

This happen to me. The bike would run great and hit higher then normal rpms. Then die, but would start right up and run great again. I asked the forum for advice and was told of the foaming, So I tighen the motor mounts and it fixed the problem. Someone said there is no air in the bowl to foam, but there is. It made sence to me. Now starving would just limit your top end and not be that sudden loss of power foaming gives you. I shock some fuel mixed with oil in a glass container and it did foam. These motors can produce finger numbing vibrations.