New to forum

GoldenMotor.com

Geezer52

Jul 29, 2013
Grand Island NE
Hi, my name is Matt, known as Geezer52 here. I met a guy at my job who has a boygofast kit on a 24" boys huffy. He also picked up an adult trike wit a briggs 3hp in the back. I can't talk him out of it, believe me , I've tried. So I have a 3hp horiz shaft briggs, and an old rollfast boys 26" bike and an old shimano 3 speed internal hub. I'm thinking of running the engine to a vee belt, using it as a slip clutch, driving the 3 speed hub ( I'll put a pulley where the cog is, and bolt the cog to the other side, on to the hub case) and then chain drive to the left side of the back wheel. I was planning to put the belt drive and hub in a box on the side, protected from the weather. Besides the coaster brake, I'm going to put a caliper on the front. Also lights and all that jazz. Hoping to get about 45mph and ride it to work. 9 miles one way.zpt

Will this work? Or am I as crazy as my wife says I am? Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We have a DYI (Do it Yourself) section that caters to non kit builders that you might enjoy. There are plenty of engine options available and your concept doesn't sound like anything that hasn't been tried, or done before.

45mph might be a little optimistic but who knows what you might acheive with the right gearing? Show us some photos of your project as it progesses.
Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom