Few Questions

GoldenMotor.com

Dylanpieper

Jul 21, 2009
Iowa
Hey guys i got most of my bike ready!
Just need a couple helpsss!!

1. Should the clutch bar be tight or go over the 180' (mines just tight)
2. Is the throttle suppose to auto retract like other bikes? (mine don't)
3. wow...i need wiring help.. Never done wiring before. Will i need soldering or can i twist and tape? (please say you can t&t)
4. Can't roll my back tire around or ride / roll my bike any where (chain is on and hooked up) (suppose to do this? or loosen something)

Im not much a mechanic what so ever and only have general tools.... Here a pic of my bike so far
dance1
^^ Click him for pics ^^

Bought from thatsdax.com

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Let's see if I can help:
1. & 4. sound like the same problem. The clutch cable isn't adjusted properly. It needs to be able to move the clutch actuator lever a good inch or so to disengage the clutch and allow the rear wheel to rotate without moving the engine crankshaft.
2. Yes, the twist grip should return to the idle position when released. make sure your throttle cable is routed so there are no sharp bends or kinks and that it is installed correctly in the carb.
3. Soldering the connections is prefered over twisting and tape or wire nuts. Most kits provide you with metal push-together terminals but they are notorious for coming loose. The best and most trouble free method is soldering and using heat shrink tubing over the connections.
Hope these answers get you started but don't hesitate to come back with more questions if you need help. You'll get more responses as the evening progresses.
Tom

Dylanpieper

Jul 21, 2009
Iowa
Thanks im very newbie at mechanics and stuff, im 13. This will be very fun once it is done. Thanks. Now i go screw with them clutch and throttle. Pain in the but, but worth it :D dnut

Dylanpieper

Jul 21, 2009
Iowa
Well my throttle cable in on to the brown thing were you put the needle and needle washer and i stuck it in the screwed it into the carb... did i miss something important? xD

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well my throttle cable in on to the brown thing were you put the needle and needle washer and i stuck it in the screwed it into the carb... did i miss something important? xD
Dylan,
As long as you put "the brown thing" in right. There is a long slot in one side and a short one in the other side. The long slot goes on the right side if you're setting on the bike looking down. I just looked at your photos. The throttle cable should not bend like yours does when it comes out of the carburetor. It should go straight up and out to the handlebar twist grip. The way you have it now is probably the reason it does not spring return to the idle position. The cable needs to make gentle bends to keep it from binding. Did that help?
How are you doing on the clutch cable adjustment? Still need help there?
Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dylan,
Post your questions here or in the trouble shooting section and I'll look for them. We'll get you on the road soon. There are a lot of guys here more than willing to offer help. Stick with us and you'll be riding soon.
Tom

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
2DOOR is right,I looked at the pics and the throttle cable is bent way to much,the cable should actually be going toward the handlebars not the back of the bike,let the extra length of throttle cable stick out in front of the handlebars....Also your clutch cable is way to tight,loosen the cable screw and let it slide out a bit more,there should be a little slack in the clutch cable....On the wiring from mageto to CDI,blue goes to blue,black to black and white to the kill switch....
John-John
P.S nice Trek bike by the way....