What speed is best for bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Hey friends, I've been wondering whats the best riding speed for minimal carbon deposit in the exhaust. I find that after a while, the muffler gets deposited with quite a bit of carbon over a few months. Does riding slow (15mph) clog the muffler quicker and should I go faster? (maybe 20mph, etc) Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks..

neophyte340

Apr 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
This sounds like an automotive question, heh, I remember bringing in my mothers Windstar and the tech was laughing at me saying "Who the **** drives that van?" I said my mother why? He said there was quite a bit of carbon buildup and that she should open the van up every once and awhile and blow it out.. I mean open the throttle more , give it some gas..

Its kinda the same maybe

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
Yea Just Run It. The Engine Gets Hot Enough To Burn Some Of That Garbage Out Of The Pipe. I'm Not Suggjesting You Put The Hammer Down All Around Town, But I'm Sure It Would'nt Hurt Getting On It From Time To Time. You'll Have To Clean It Out Sooner Or Later. Do You Have The Baffles In Yours Yet?

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Hmmmmm, thought so.. Dont get me wrong though, I dont always go that slow but most of the time theres others on the cycleway. Think Im gonna open it up a bit more on the road... I got baffles in mine but Im not sure how to get it out of the pipe. It seems like its just jammed there with all that carbon. Does it pull out or screw out or?

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Do You Have An Older Stock Muffler Or A Newer Cat Stile? The Older Ones Unscrew On The Side With A Bolt And The Newer Ones Have A Screw On The Bottom In The Middle Of The End Cap. The Cat Muffler Has All The Baffles Welded In It And Is A Pain To Get Out. On The Older Stock Muffler All The Baffle Crap Comes Right Out. You Have To Keep The End Cap On Or Your Ears Will Bleed. You Will Get More Power Out Of The Engine. I Took Mine Out More Than 3000 Miles Ago And Its Been Running Great.hopefully You Have An Older Stock Muffler.i Like Those Better, I Have Both Kinds.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If your really curious take the bike to a emission booth check it at diff RPMS , but really I say ride it.....

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
It seems gas engines do that, even in cars. If you drive them slow all the time, they become slow and carbonated.

I even notice with my 4-stroke that I have to drive it fast sometimes. If I drive slow on it a whole lot, it doesn't have as much throttle response after a while, but if I go wide-open for a few good runs, it runs much better afterward, and is more responsive. I only got my engine in June, and I can see the carbon buildup on the piston top when I look in the sparkplug hole.

With ANY engine, I recommend running it at the full RPM range every so often over the course of its life, to get the engine use to spinning the higher RPM and to keep it running good.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Thanks alot guys for the info.. I have been riding it fast lately, had a look inside the pipe and found far less crap in there than before.. and noticed the engine is now more responsive xct2

Hey Death4of4 Its the newer style which means the pain of disconnecting it from the port and cleaning it when it get too clogged..I took the end cap off and man, these little engines can really go! The pops were deafening but I wanted to see how much power I could get :D

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i usually run mine at 15-20mph and ever so often i give it some gas and zoom off.
ive had mine up to 31.5mph and it will do more,but i dont reccomend any faster
no carbon in my pipe,i have the newer cat one

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Yep... If You Want To Spend A Little More Money You Could Get Yourself A Tuned Pipe. If You Could Get Your Hands On One Of Those Older Mufflers Try It Out Without The Baffles And See What You Think. I Never Tried Leaving The End Cap Off Of The Cat Muffler... Now I'm Wondering How Loud That Is Compared To The Older Stile. You Get More Power For Sure But No Back Pressure.