air leak

GoldenMotor.com

jimfarnell

Mar 19, 2009
cypress
Still having air leak where carb slides onto small intake pipe with my 80 cc 2 stroke Raw motor unit. Sanded pipe and will slide completing into carb and seats firmly onto o-ring. Clamp tightens down securely. Yet still drawing air there while testing with carb cleaner spray with engine throttle up. What else can be done there ? Now thinking carb defective - maybe crack in housing mold I can see. Any help will be appreciated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Clean the throat of the carb and intake manifold. Make sure there is no oil or dirt then smear a silicone sealer, such as RTV or silicone gasket sealer on the intake. Slide the carburetor onto the intake manifold, tighten the clamp, (don't overtighten it, you can break the ears off the carb) and let the sealer set up (dry) before checking for leaks. Be careful using an 'O' ring in the carb. There have been reports of them getting sucked into the engine and can cause you real grief. If you get a good seal with the silicone you will not need that 'O' ring. Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

jimfarnell

Mar 19, 2009
cypress
Clean the throat of the carb and intake manifold. Make sure there is no oil or dirt then smear a silicone sealer, such as RTV or silicone gasket sealer on the intake. Slide the carburetor onto the intake manifold, tighten the clamp, (don't overtighten it, you can break the ears off the carb) and let the sealer set up (dry) before checking for leaks. Be careful using an 'O' ring in the carb. There have been reports of them getting sucked into the engine and can cause you real grief. If you get a good seal with the silicone you will not need that 'O' ring. Good luck.
Tom
Thank you very much for your advice. Will clean all parts again and try gasket sealer on intake/carb connection. Puzzles me why the designed fastner connection won't take care of the air leak - lead me to the possibility of a defective part.