Exaust issue

GoldenMotor.com

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
I don't know what he part is called, But it is the soft spacer that fits between the motor and exaust pipe. Basically it looks like it is melting which kind of puzzled me. Why would it be used if its not rated for high temps? Right now it looks negledigble (spelling?), but I was wondering if there would be a possible easy solution to this.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Graham,
That part is called a gasket and I'm inclined to think that is is not melting but could be leaking oil. Some of the gaskets supplied with the kits are of questionable quality and can leak even when the exhaust pipe flange is tightened correctly. Any auto parts store can supply you with gasket material which you can cut with a good pair of sissors or snips. If you are unsure about the thickness needed take your old gasket with you. It is about 1/8th inch thick. Use the exhaust pipe flange as a guide and make the gasket match it perfectly. Cut it carefully making sure you cut out a hole in the center as big or just a little bigger than the pipe size. If you are using the kit hardware, studs, bolts, etc, be careful when retightening them. They can strip easily with over torquing. Use an anti seize compound on the threads, tighten the nuts just enough to flatten the lock washers then just a little more. If you don't feel confident making a gasket yourself you can order replacements here. ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2 This should get you going but keep asking if you have further problems.
Tom

Last edited:

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
wow thanks alot...that really helps me out, the reason i said the gasket was "melting" was because it was loosing material. It was literally loosing mass around the connection

Last edited:

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Ya, I forgot to put one of the lock washers on a side of the exhaust and it vibrated loose and blew my gasket. No auto parts stores have gasket material in my town. O'Reily's, Advance Auto Parts, even NAPA didn't have any.. I'm just going to have to order a new one.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I could not afford gasket material so I just cut one out of good sturdy cardboard from the back of an old notebook. I coated it with 2-stroke oil and it hasn't been a problem since.