Hello from midAmerica

GoldenMotor.com

Okietrader13

May 2, 2016
Oklahoma city
I am on my first build (66cc) in Huffy crusier and have done just about everything to get this thing to fire up but not getting any spark. The mag test good to the ohms that I have read here in the forum. But my coils (4) of them all new test from 6.1 to 7.0 on the 20 oms scale which is a lot different from what I have read they should be. (tested from boot to black wire) The only thing I haven't tested is the magnet timing to the key way. Can someone tell my if my coils are all bad? All connections are good when I tested for spark with plug pulled and resting on the head. Two of my new coils just shipped in from vender in China and they say they were tested at factory but will not tell me what kind of test they did. I have two motor kits and have switched mags and coils between the two and bought the two new ones. Can all of these coils be bad or am I missing something ? Help!:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First let me welcome you to the forum. We're here to help and maybe this link > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35090 will get you going.

We're assuming by "coil" you mean the CDI, or the little black box. It is actually the heart of the ignition system and they typically don't fail. Check your wiring connections carefully and try not connecting the kill switch. Also I suggest you replace the kit supplied spark plug and plug boot with automotive quality items. The plastic boot might be your problem. They are notorious for having bad electrical connections.

Let us know after you have read through the link if you found the problem.
Good luck.

Tom

Okietrader13

May 2, 2016
Oklahoma city
I have tried all the ways to test listed here and only get a reading from the plug boot to black wire of 7.1. I have a two wire mag and it tests 345 blue to black. I litley sanded the back for better ground and tested through the wires too. My spark test is with the plug pulled and resting on head (bike on center stand) and peddling. Nothiing. Kill button has been disconnected and continuity tested good and left disconnected. I have not tested the magnet to see if it is on correct but it looks like something to look at.
My cdi readings are not any where like those posted here. Do I buy more new ones and if so from where?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Even if the magnet (rotor) is installed wrong you'll still get ignition, spark. It will just be at the wrong time. I'll again suggest you replace the boot with something better than comes in most kits. Some newer kits are now coming with better boots that snap onto a spark plug with the top cap installed. The older ones required removal of the cap and only made contact with the threads on the top of the plug. The way they connected to the wire was also questionable.

You might also want to check those bullet type, push-on connectors that are used on the blue and black wires. We've seen them crimped on the insulation and making no contact with the conductor. We always suggest cutting them off and joining the wires with a soldered connection to assure good electrical continuity.

What plug gap are you using? .024 to .028 is a good starting point.

Tom

Okietrader13

May 2, 2016
Oklahoma city
Sorry about not replying .
Plug gap is 30 and I will rotat the motor ( with a straw in the plug hole and see where the magnet lines up at tdc. I have ordered al new mag and coil.
Thanks for your replies.

Okietrader13

May 2, 2016
Oklahoma city
Well I finally got my order for my new Cdi magneto and spark plug. 21 days from date I ordered.(slow boat from China) Did get it running and now I just need to tweak it to run right. The thing won't idel down and I'm still getting g stretch in the clutch cable.