Friendly reminder!!

GoldenMotor.com

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Well I had my bike or during lunch, to ride back to work. Was on the main road and head a slight ping noise two or three times. Didn't think anything about it too I had a chunk and my motor died. Was able to come to s safe stop, as well as the gentleman in the car behind me. As we were stopped he commented about my speed....35 mph! Found I was ok and he was on his way. Walked my bike to work, around .75 miles. Once there I looked over the bike again and noticed that my hub adapter looked funny. Upon closer inspection I found that one of the bolts that holds the sprocket to the hub was missing a bolt, and that the other two were loose. Guess I forgot to lock tight the bolts in.

I am extremely lucky that I was able to stop safely, and not fly over the handle bars.

So please remember to lock tight, and tighten ALL your bolts!

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I'm glad you caught it in time and your bike wasn't torn up. You know, I keep checking my adapter bolts but they stay tight. No loc-tite. I'm a machine builder by trade and one thing I've found is that aluminum will glom onto a steel bolt all by itself. Stainless steel is even worse, and will seize so bad you wouldn't believe it. Anyway I cleaned the threads before putting them in and snugged them up, and that's been the end of it.
I will check them again in your honor, Woogieman!
My poo pipe muffler gets loose now and then, and the intake manifold nuts once in a great while. I had the head nuts loosen up once, too.
The adapter has been trouble free.
I loc-tited just about everything else, even the chainguard screws and stuff.
I spend an hour or so a week going over it, looking at things, just zoning out.
I enjoy tinkering, that's why the CG is my favorite bike engine. It needs me.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Yeah I build custom medical packaging equipment at work..lots of aluminum parts.

The other thing I was looking at was boring the posts out and heli-coiling them for a stronger grab. I am not to worried about the tire....popped tire and snapped 4 spokes. I found the tire during our shooting clean up week, so I am out no money. I do have a stronger tire being made at the local bicycle shop so no worries.

I really wish these kids would come with safety bolts for safety wire.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Huh.
Mine is no trouble.
Take the bolts out, degrease them, clean the holes with acetone on a q-tip, apply a little blue loc tite and you should be good to go. I wouldn't helicoil them all, it shouldn't be necessary really.

I just had an idea pop in to my coconut. IF your alignment wasn't perfecto, it could be vibrating and tugging on the sprocket causing the loosening.
Just a passing thought.

Last edited:

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
It looked good, but I know I didn't lock tight them. After watching on the bike for the past two weeks I should have checked before a solid ride. Have just been short little bursts around my block.

I plan on taking everything down and inspecting the tire to see if I can't reuse the parts.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm wondering if there is a coaster brake in there too. I've got a wheel here that got so hot that the spoke anchor ring came loose when the hub expanded then cooled, leaving all the spokes on that side connected to a floating washer sliding back & forth across the hub. Maybe heat from the brake can loosen those adapters.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Good you found out the problem in time. I'm always feeling and listening for something that seems out of place and then pull over and check it.

For the exhaust nuts I use a piece of spring and make hook ends to stretch it from one nut to the other and they have not budged in two years. If the nut wants to loosen it just jams up against the spring hook and goes nowhere. And I have the clutch keeper brass nut thingy attached to the clutch arm the same way sort of. I lost one once and was not happy. Never again.

Also, before I put the spring on I had stripped out an exhaust bolt and fixed it with Quicksteel which is like JBweld. Never had a problem since then. You just need to clean out the hole nicely and sharpen up whatever threads are left on the bolt.

Slogger, that's how I clean off oil too, with acetone and then blast with air duster can and repeat 4 or 5 times to be sure.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
@ Chaz- yeah, an oily bolt won't let the loc tite work. A crusty, dirty bolt and hole can not be torqued accurately, either. I clean errythang.
@Crassius- That's a valid point, I never considered all that heat those coasters generate.
I use mine as little as possible. Thanks for pointing that out.
Is this a great forum, or what?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
It's the best thing ever. This, to me, is what the internet is all about... well, this and ladies who are comfortable in their own skin.
Oh yeah. In the old days you were limited to what your friends and associates knew, and whatever info could be gleaned from magazines.
The magazines had the girls, too.

Last edited:

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Yeah no coaster brake. Though my new wheel will have a coaster on it.

I am sure I was in a hurry to ride and over looked it.

Talking to my dad, he had the stuff to safety wire fasteners. Will take a look and see what would be needed to make sure this never happens again .