A question about additives

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Goat Herder- The design I use has been modified slightly for performance, and to accommodate available materiel. It has proven safe, and effective. Not to mention almost free.

Tom- I was about to say that you were dating yourself... and then you did:) Sterno has fed me many a warm meal. It's on that list of smells that you know... The MRE heaters have made quite an advancement over the past few years too.

Map- Yes. To all of that. I thought I was the only one anal-retentive enough to keep records! With the thin atmosphere up here, my boil times have increased noticeably. Have had some issues with temp, not wind as much. That Heet is the best thing going for use, price, availability etc. I've out boiled more than one "summit reaching" store bought stove a guy paid $100 plus for. :) Wish I could remember where I learned this.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Goat Herder- The design I use has been modified slightly for performance, and to accommodate available materiel. It has proven safe, and effective. Not to mention almost free.

Tom- I was about to say that you were dating yourself... and then you did:) Sterno has fed me many a warm meal. It's on that list of smells that you know... The MRE heaters have made quite an advancement over the past few years too.

Map- Yes. To all of that. I thought I was the only one anal-retentive enough to keep records! With the thin atmosphere up here, my boil times have increased noticeably. Have had some issues with temp, not wind as much. That Heet is the best thing going for use, price, availability etc. I've out boiled more than one "summit reaching" store bought stove a guy paid $100 plus for. :) Wish I could remember where I learned this.
lol... a while.back I could have told you to the second what my boil times were with different fuels and for what amounts of water was used for each test.

once I found that Heet was the top gun above all others tried I didnt worry much about times after that since I knew what would do it the quickest and cleanest.

ordered me some baby pop bottles from a science supply store to keep the Heet in, those things are awesome little containers for all kinds of things.

I also have made mutiple types, the heavy extruded beer and energy drink bottles/cans work great but are a bit harder to work with, mine aren't that pretty but they work great.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
To any moderator, (or hacker who is able)...
I didn't mean to change the subject of this thread, it should have it's own conversation. If you agree, my interlude started at post #31. My thread titled: Homemade camp stove, would be the proper place I believe.
Thank you!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
To any moderator, (or hacker who is able)...
I didn't mean to change the subject of this thread, it should have it's own conversation. If you agree, my interlude started at post #31. My thread titled: Homemade camp stove, would be the proper place I believe.
Thank you!
LOL... several of us are guilty of this little hijacking..

I think everyone realizes no harm meant and I'm sure it will slide back on topic soon.

By the way anyone know what the price of potatoes are in Russia these days...?

Peace, map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have to wonder if anyone has tried burning Sterno in their motor bikes :)

No problem, Trey. Threads have a way of getting off topic occasionally. As long as the OP doesn't take offense, no harm done.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I have to wonder if anyone has tried burning Sterno in their motor bikes :)

No problem, Trey. Threads have a way of getting off topic occasionally. As long as the OP doesn't take offense, no harm done.

Tom

The local Hutterites are rumored to produce a strong 'wine' that I believe to be a candidate for combustion engine fuel. I'm thinking that cut 1 part to 20 or so with JP8, and it will run. I intend to test it at some unknown point.

OK on the cutting in, thanks.