Does anyone recognize this engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
My guess is it's off a cultivator, seeing as it has those grips, with a drive shaft going to a worm gear to turn the tines. That's just my supposition.

There are McCulloch resources to give you an idea what it is from the engine number, if you want to track them down.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The problem with the chainsaw theory is the output is perpendicular to the normal plane of a saw blade.

I'm going to guess maybe a garden tiller? Just a guess however.
Or maybe a large concrete vibrator power source? There would have been a flexible cable attached to the output.
Is what we see the remains of a centrifugal clutch on the output shaft?

Tom

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
The problem with the chainsaw theory is the output is perpendicular to the normal plane of a saw blade. Is what we see the remains of a centrifugal clutch on the output shaft? Tom
Tom- This was my thinking exactly. I believe we were mistaken my friend. That looks to be some kind of contraption when it's in operational mode!

Chainreaction- Thank you for that link. That's the one. Being in the Great Northwest, and working with chainsaws regularly, I should have known- but you could fill an ocean with what I don't know.

I have yet to even check compression. It looks rough though.
Still, I'm excited. This could replace my dream "5hp Briggs" cruiser build. I will do an inspection, and return to tap you good folks for guidance. Of course, any ideas or info you can share now would be appreciated.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Judging by my chainsaw experience, it should be a MONSTER!
Chain saws have state-of-the-art porting compared to any bicycle engine...more like a race motor since they need the power.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... from what I've read on these, they wouldn't run smoothly at all unless under load and at full throttle cutting into a log, These used a beval gear so the chain bar could be rotated to keep the engine upright since they didn't use a floatless carb. With the longer bars installed it took a second person on the other side to operate the saw. I'm sure someone could put a modern carb and do a little port tuning (or de tuning in this case) and have a really nice bike engine. More than a few of these type engines did end up on racing karts in the 60's and 70's because of their high power output.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I'd a bet the farm that was a tiller. As a chain saw, wow. Would leave yer hands buzzing for the rest of the day.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It's a 2 man operated chainsaw.. Here's the link the guy posted with pics... I remember seeing these when I was a kid in Colorado and wishing I could take an engine off one for a go kart... lol.
here's the link again, and you can see how the blade is on a bevel gear so it comes out directly off the clutch bell and could be rotated to keep the engine upright during cutting... way before OSHA so I'm sure the operator's hands were numb for weeks after using that thing... http://www.vannattabros.com/saw44.html

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Bad thing about the old McCulloch engines is they were known for having lots of carb issues kinda like some of the Tecumseh engine, one of my uncles that owner a Yamaha dealership in the late 60's and through mid 80's waqs also a McCulloch dealer and he always said that McCulloch dropped the ball on their carbs but the old big engines were very powerful when you could get them to run or run right.

best wishes with that old beast...