strange year for building & repairs

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
after a really slow year for these bikes with fewer sales and repairs than any other year for the last 6 years, this last month has really turned around

this week I sold three bikes in the dark by flashlight, and last night, in the dark & in the cold, pouring rain

gas prices are low & weather is cold - no idea where this up-tick is coming from, but enjoying it

anyone else seeing an increase this late in the year?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
strictly poor folks trying to get to work - rarely get anyone with real money around here

my market has become kits for 165 & good running bikes for 250 to 400

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
i tried to do this flipping bikes thing but im to danm honest i know all the problems ive had and learning how to fix them was pretty easy but i dont feel right about selling one of my bikes to somebody as transportation because i know it will eventually break on them the exhaust will come lose or the float in the carb will get a hole and cause fuel to come out the intake or it fouls the plug or a magneto gets wet all simple stuff to me but i worry about the skill level of my potential customer weather or not they now how to fix these little issues

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a good hanger helps the muffler, and I haven't seen a sinking float in many years (maybe better quality control?)

I'm more a simple repair shop than a sales place, but I do free CDI & mag testing for anyone and free simple repair for those that buy one from me. Customers can stop by & ask questions or have me look it over to see if something is wearing or coming loose & I'll show them how to take care of it.

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
i knew people who flipped over 100 of these bikes for 450-500 and up and there was no quality control with these guys they would buy the cheapest walmart bike slap the cheapest ebay kit on a bike break it in then flip as fast as possible to any buyer they could find. im glad to see honest people out there! rock on brother

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
im fixing to put a for sale bike together soon, it will be a simple build that ill ask about 350-375 for when its done.

really looking forward to building this bike or maybe I should just say motorizing this bike, wont be much building to it, should be a simple project since the frame is perfect for the HT engine.

it will be a fixie type bike with 700c 40 tires, stock pipe and 44Tsprocket, I want it to be a 25- 30 mph bike, not gonna do anything fancy, just the odds and ends to help reliability and safety.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
after a really slow year for these bikes with fewer sales and repairs than any other year for the last 6 years, this last month has really turned around

this week I sold three bikes in the dark by flashlight, and last night, in the dark & in the cold, pouring rain

gas prices are low & weather is cold - no idea where this up-tick is coming from, but enjoying it

Just out of curiosity, is your shop in the middle of the desert or parking lot somewhere? I'd be a bit leery buying a motorized bike under those conditions......no Coleman lantern or umbrella available?

I've thought about selling tandems and two-seater trikes by candlelight....you might be on to something here.....ambiance! Maybe down at the beach, near the ocean with Tiki torches?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hope, it's just out in the back yard so I don't fill the house with exhaust fumes - I'm way too old to work long hours, so never ran any lights out there

when it gets colder, I usually head for Thailand for a few months - I'm getting ready to head out in 3 weeks & be back in April

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
after a really slow year...
this last month has really turned around..
Business is pretty stable year-round here with our great weather (mid 70's this time of year) with upticks a month or so after Holidays thanks to Sheriff Joe's DUI checkpoints.

I am the high end builder in my neck of the woods and have a steady stream of upper middle-class customers that appreciate quality and customization which works out well for me because I simply won't build cheap, unsafe crap.

Nice to see a good builder do well despite the limited 'riding season' you have which is where besides somewhere I am glad I am not?