The ULTIMATE Bicycle Motor !!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
They're cool, no doubt. Just no torque. They look and run great on a static display stand but don't produce the suds needed to power anything.
I've seen miniature engines before; everything from radial aircraft engines to Ardun head Fords and Offys. They are neat, but useless for anything other than displays. My hat is off to the builders who spend countless hours building them however. They are no doubt dedicated and talented folks. That small block Chevy would be cool to own. But what do you do with it after it's built?

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Not even a RC car in it's scale tom? Of course I would hate to be the guy that wrecked on of those no matter what!:oops:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Some of those tiny engines do actually make enough power to do some work.

The Conley Stinger 609 for example allegedly makes ~5.5HP @ 9500RPM or 9HP with optional supercharger.

Converting Horsepower to Torque is: (HP * RPM) / 5252 = TQ

That works out to 9.5 ft/lb @ 9500 or 16.3 ft/lbs with supercharger. That's probably not that engine's peak torque, either.

That's considerably more power than many engines used on our bicycles, in 14*6*8¼" (14x6x10" supercharged).

Of course it's crazy expensive and who knows how long it would last before needing an overhaul. One of us needs to win the lottery to find out :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not even a RC car in it's scale tom? Of course I would hate to be the guy that wrecked on of those no matter what!:oops:
Goat,
I talked to a guy here in Denver who builds these. His are absolute works of art and they all run, but even he admits that the just don't make the horsepower to power anything to their scale. Plus the weight factor. His radial aircraft engines don't make enough 'umph' to fly a plane the same scale as the engines.

Even so, they sound so cool. His Arden head Ford V8 even has a lumpy cam idle.
"rumpety, rump, rumpety, rump". :)

Tom