Is your pedal crank too short?

GoldenMotor.com

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Is your spindle/crank combo too short and you need to extend them?

Well, I have to extend my spindle / crank combo since it was too short to clear the jackshaft sprocket. Extending the spindle/shaft below.

It's already 206mm long but not long enough. To extend it, here's what I came up with...

2 on each side 5/8" split shaft collar cut out my 153mm shaft, weld the too collars together and clamp both ends to the 206mm shaft. That's the plan. Pic is of 5/8" shaft 10" long if i want to go that route too.

I could definititely use one of these http://www.mcmaster.com/#8389k17/=s0hu9a
but I'm cheap and don't want to spend $34 for it, add shipping/handling fee and you're looking at $40. hahaha...

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That should work as long as you can geth the weld to go most the way thru... bevel the edges up real good and I see no problems...

BTW... Nice job beefing up the frame on your bike, that'll definitely help it live a lot longer with that engine installed.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I"m still a complete newbie when it comes to welding, but still gotta learn even though it looks likeeee chittt. I'll probably beveled it to 1/8" and weld them up. Anyhow, I need to convert to gas instead of flux core though.

Anyhow,
the 5/8" double slit shaft collar is $17shipped for a quantity of 10. It's much better then the 5/8" collar with a set screw and leave no marks due to set screw.
I might use up to 8 on my setup though.. hahha...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Which Flux core wire are you using? I've noticed the Lincoln wire they sell at home Depot really works well with very little slag produced, still no substitute for shielding gas but it works good. Also, the wire spools at harbor freight are made in Italy, not China, and it's quality is much better than the wire that comes with the harbor freight welders. I got a harbor freight Flux core welder and it made a huge difference when I switched to the replacement wire, and it got even better with the Lincoln wire.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I alternate between the Homedepot and ace hard ware .030 flux core. Ace hardware is closer home and the spool comes in 2lbs. They tend to break easily with about 1/4 of spool left. I"m not sure if the homedepot spool is better than Ace hardware spool though.