Bicycle parking on the cheap

GoldenMotor.com

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
I put this here because I have no clue where it ought to go- but I have purchased $26 worth of 1" PVC and "T" connections to create a bicycle/MAB parking rack. If this works, this purchase will create parking for four bikes with the capacity to add more. Construction starts this weekend- yes, there will be photos... assuming I can download them this time...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
PVC? Not very secure...
I once lost a nice MTB when the a$$hat stole it by tearing the entire rack out of the sidewalk. He wanted my stuff bad I guess.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I'm not a thief, but if I wanted to steal it, I'd cut through it with a hacksaw. Why bother using up all the energy it takes to rip something out of the ground? 3 o'clock in the morning, walk up and start cutting. I'd be welding something myself, if I had the tools and materials.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I put this here because I have no clue where it ought to go- but I have purchased $26 worth of 1" PVC and "T" connections to create a bicycle/MAB parking rack. If this works, this purchase will create parking for four bikes with the capacity to add more. Construction starts this weekend- yes, there will be photos... assuming I can download them this time...
Looking forward to seeing this project come along, since I dont know for sure where this rack system will be used I will not comment on whether or not I think PVC is a good material for what you are doing, as far as I can tell no one here actually has a clue what you are making, how it will work or where it will be used, so Ill just wish you the best and look forward to seeing what you done went and brainstormed up....

Map
.wee.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Thievery is not a major concern here... bicycles all over the yard is. This is not a security measure as much as a housekeeping issue- you can get through 1" schedule 40 PVC with double-action garden pruning loppers.
I am using greypipe PVC conduit for the long parts and white PVC "T" junctions- the greypipe is UV resistant and cheaper. The "T" junctions will have to be painted... they are not available in grey, as conduit is for romex, not water. From a gluing standpoint, there is not much issue- this will not be holding water pressure. If you figure 20 "T" joints per two bicycles (always even numbers with this design) you can start to calculate how much this might cost you... insofar as how much pipe... well, I'm still working on it.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
When you said PVC I figured you meant it was more for organization than security. Good idea, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I've looked at a few similar ideas through ehow.com and www.instructables.com. Sooner or later I'll probably go to the Habitat ReStore and start collecting materials for one.

Harley59

Aug 19, 2012
Vancouver, bc
I would definitely go to your local ReStore that is a great place to find good stuff on the cheap. mostly building/plumbing stuff for some of the smaller stores. Until you have been through one you can't grasp the little you pay for some NEW things. Contractors 'in the know' donate leftover building materials (subject to manager's approval) to these places. It takes these items out of the land fills and saves them a pretty penny in dump-age fees. It is a charity organization so you feel good two ways: 1. you support housing for families that can't afford it normally. 2. you get good stuff on the cheap.
I'd say that is a win/win.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Here we are- it turns out I miscalculated by two lengths of pipe, but here you see the pattern. Easy to figure out- the uprights are 30", the spreaders are 12" and the rest is cut to fit. Figure 10 "T" joints and one 20' pipe per bike, minimum of two. This took me about a half hour to do and was no challenge whatsoever

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Looks good sarge, you could even put some of the foam pipe insulation on those upright support pipes and then the bikes finish would be protected if you wanted, good job and another good use for pvc pipe.

Map
.wee.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Anybody showing up on my property unexpected when I am not home will be greeted by my neighbors- same for my neighbors' property. We keep track of each others' business and anything unusual gets investigated. We have means of telling each other when we are not home that would-be thieves cannot tap into- and everyone is armed.

There hasn't been a successful burglary here in 25 years, and violent crimes in the past 8 can be counted on one hand.

I love where I live.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Been using this built from scrap lumber glued, screwed then varnished for a full 3 years now in the shop.

It will hold any bike from the lightest 24" to biggest 29" with big gas motor without failure even while working and beating on the bike in it.

PVC even indoors like this would have bent and broke by now considering how many bikes have been and out of it every day, day after day for years, outdoors in the sun PVC turns to brittle garbage at least here in the desert Southwest.

Yours turned out nice but when it crumble consider wood.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Might well do that- up here in the pacific northwest this stuff does all right if you paint it. I intend to create two six bike units to see how well it works