Clutch pads

GoldenMotor.com

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I've been thinking of putting a new set brake clutch pads on my 66cc China girl. The engine will soon be 1 year old and has approximately 1200 miles. I use the clutch quite often to stop due to the reason of buying the kit. Should I order a set of them on-line or is there a material I can use to make my own?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Is your clutch slipping? A slipping or chattering clutch is the reason most people change the pads, if you are worried about the pads remove the flower nut and have a look. You need to look anyway to see if they are round or square shaped, I would buy a set if it were me.
P.s. I have about 1500 miles on one of my bikes and the pads are still in good shape.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've heard these engines described as having " a thousand mile engine with a ten thousand mile clutch."
Try tightening the main clutch spring inside the case before you think wasted clutch pads.
These clutches are very reliable in my experience as long as you keep them adjusted correctly.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If the pucks look glazed over on the inward side just take each out ata time and rough it up a bit on some 80 grit sand paper and put them back in and make sure clutch is adjusted right, sanding them like this removes the hard glaze that forms from heat and slippage and makes them about as good as new again.

Map

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
Thanks for the comments. I don't feel the engine slipping but with using the clutch quite often, I thought I'd make sure before it causes problems. I'll check everything out tonight when I put the new cable on.