Another Newbie to deal with...

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hi, I'm Dave and I'm in San Antonio Texas, been a chronic DIYer all my life and decided just out of the blue to get me one of those PK80 kits and then get a mountain bike to put it on. Being that I love to tinker with things I did some minor port work onn the piston and installed a Fred head before I had the thing installed, I was gonna keep it stock til I bvroke it in at least, but that idea went right out the window.. lol Then after about 5 miles of riding it easy I decide to see what it's got and find out it's quick on top but has trouble getting there so I'm eye balling my old pocket bike that I hadn't ridden since my son wrecked it so I took off the expansion chamber and after a little cutting and welding it fit my new project perfectly, this more than fixed the lack of acceleration, but I'm far from done with it... I'll put some more miles on it and once everything is loosened up inside I'll do some cylinder porting and bump up the compression etc. I'm also interested in upgrading the ignition and possibly using a KX60 expansion chamber in the near future as well. I'm not really concearned too much with longevity since parts are cheap, but I do plan on doing everything right so it won't break when I'm 5 miles from home etc...

Anyway, I've been reading a lot in here the past few weeks and I'm impressed with the knowledge passed around so I decided to register and share some myself...

Here's a pic of my ride while I'm at it...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard.

I don't think you need to call yourself a newbie. I suppose it's true in the technical sense. But you've already got a somewhat advanced bike there.

Nice build.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome looking build, Dave! I am amazed you got a motor in there.

In staring at your picture, I keep envisioning a layback-seat post.

Your expansion chamber really sets off her whole look.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice build. Welcome aboard.
I hope that's not your wife's car the bike is leaning against. I couldn't get away with that :)

Thanks for joining.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

Welcome aboard.

I don't think you need to call yourself a newbie. I suppose it's true in the technical sense. But you've already got a somewhat advanced bike there.

Nice build.

This was my exact first thought on reading your first post!! Well done.

Good luck with your future upgrades!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Thanks for the kind words everyone
technically I guess I'm not so new at these 2 stroke toys, but this is my first bicycle build and I'm new to the forum so I gotta consider myself new for now... I'm still breaking in the engine properly but I do gun it for short bursts and then cruise it easy around the neighborhood keeping the trips under 30 minutes or so. Basically letting it get nice and warm but not too hot then letting it cool down all the way and going for another ride just a bit more agressively on the throttle than the previous ride.
The power is nice... nowhere near as nice as my Harley, but it's still a lot of fun and it's tempting to run it flat out every time I take off but I'm trying to restrain myself for one more tank ful before really getting into it...

Right now I'm doing a lot more reading than posting finding out more about CDI upgrades and carb upgrades etc, but I'll be sure to chime in and give my 2 cents when I got answers as well as ask a few questions of my own... I do look forward to getting to know everyone in here and trading ideas etc...

Here are a few of my Other bike... for your viewing pleasure... These were all built up and painted by me, but these bicycles are also a lot of fun (and cost way less ) so I wanted to build one to put around the neighborhood on... I'm sure it'll get some paint as soon as I decide how I want it to look

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
If you ever decide to sell that Blast, please keep me in the loop!! Those seem to be great machines!