Slammed!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I guess everyone has been saving stuff up for a nice saturday.
Two phone calls and my back yard looks like this...

Three have been sitting due to an unfortunate death. The gentleman who bought one of my builds passed and his family wants to sell two of his three bikes. They are going to keep the one I built. I'm proud and sad at the same time.
It looks to have held up quite well aside from an exhaust leak where the pipe splits and a very oxidized tank.

They really like the baby carrier so this one is staying in the family. Two generations and counting!
These two are going up for sale.

Both are 49cc bikes and the one with the rear tank has been sitting several years from the looks. The Huffy is a nice cruiser I've worked on before. The weird forks still scare me though.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Another is a crash repair with a taco'ed rear wheel, busted idler, busted chain, and floppy gas tank.

Got it sorted with a steel HD rim and new chain and idler wheel from the parts pile..
I have mixed feelings about repeat business like this...second wheel for this guy. I'm starting to see a pattern here...:)

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Got the first customer bike fixed. New steel rim, chain, and roller. Not sure if the roller hardware is going to hold up, but it's a very smooth free unit. Hard to find the right shoulder bolt for it to work properly. The one I have is a bit small. It uses a spacer. The correct size shoulder bolt would be much stronger. We shall see if it holds up.

I'll say one thing, this old 49cc workhorse is a very sweet tempered engine. It has a very nice mellow tone and generally runs like a sewing machine. The engine never misses a lick, mile after mile.

Last edited:

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
So lucky to have someone like you who fixes and services the bikes ,here in Melbourne au we have no one so any maintenance has to be done by ones self

Those builds look great ,I agree with the unusual forks though they do look kind of scary
Keep up the great work mate

Regards Henshooter

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Just looking at those photos brings something to mind.

It's been said before. But these are such sweet little machines.

Those forks are kinda odd, aren't they? I suppose I'd be willing to ride with them, but I'd always wonder.......

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I checked the welds and they are sound, but it still gives me the willies. I cannot imagine why anyone would do such a weird mod. I guess it was a crude attempt to give straight suspension forks a bit of cruiser feel by adding trail....it slows the steering down a noticeable amount. But it's such an ugly way to do it! I'd simply have added extension plates to move the axle slots forward giving the same effect. Two little plates welded on is a much better way to do this.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Got everything done today since it was so beautiful outside.
Started by taking the busted and flopping fenders off and repairing the rear wheel. Needed the bearings greased and adjusted, and a brake arm strap. (Again)

Also cleaned the carb and generally went over everything. Ready to roll again!

The next bike needed a flat fixed, a general tune up and an exhaust coupler repaired. I use old hand grips and zip ties. Usually lasts a year or so and is quick and easy to fix.

The last bike has an old super rat and had been sitting a LONG time. The original carb was totally corroded and the slide was seized. The rear mount tank is kinda ghetto, but seems to work fine so far. It has a weird double muffler made with two briggs style silencers and has a slightly plugged sound in my opinion. It works, but is too restrictive I think.

Swapped a new carb on and a length of fuel line, and it fired right up! Checked and adjusted everything and all three are ready for another season!
It does my heart good to see more and more of these wonderful toys around my area, and does my wallet some good as well! At least enough to help me play a bit.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I'm thinking of buying a motor from a local and stripping it down to put back together , once my knowledge is expanded and I know the motors through and through I might go into backyard servicing , there is no one here in Melbourne au that does servicing on motorised gas bikes , they are fairly new though but gaining in popularity ,I've had 8 people in 4 months get one and I've helped fit it because they have seen mine and want one , how good is the business pocket money wise ??

Cheers again for all your help and advice Maniac57 it is greatly appreciated my friend

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's nothing you can depend on here. Sometimes I'm busy, but mostly I'm not.
I only do service for the goodwill and advertising. I'm more oriented towards building kits and selling them.
The repair work is just something that kinda happens when you know how. Better for meeting new friends than earning any real money.