tip for buying a cheap new bike

GoldenMotor.com

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
i when to walmart to get a bike, i noticed that they had alot of bikes locked up out front on display, when i looked closer i noticed that these bikes were starting to rust from being left out. so i when't in and asked the sales person if they had the one that i liked still in the box because the one outside was starting to rust. she said that was the only one. then she told me that she's told her manager about the problem but puting them out front was company policy and that most of these bike had to be discounted. i asked to speak to the manager and when i complained about the rust he gave me a 30% discount right away. i took the bike home and hit the chrome with a little extra fine steel wool and a good wax and you could never tell that there was any rust on it. so a $130 bike cost me $90. the trick is to find a bike that's been put out recently and only has a little surface rust, but still has enough rust to be worth complaining about.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I too have noticed the rust on bikes at wally world, but the part that had my attention was that I saw that on ones that were inside on racks. Either they kept them outside for a while or they're just that prone to rust that they'll do it sitting indoors. Funny though, because I have a Huffy that my parents bought me back in '98 when I was in middle school, and it still doesn't have any rust. I guess it must be that I just took care of my stuff.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
In the old days...
Things use to be double or even triple chromed.
A good coat of nickel went on first.
these days recycled metals already contaminated with rust are given the lightest coat possible.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Look around outside in the fenced lawn and garden section. Almost all big WalMArts place the display bikes that are too rusty to use anymore here. If you find a manager, you can often get these bikes for a fraction of retail. I bought five Murray mountain bikes for $35 bucks each this way. $127 new. All that was wrong was surface rust on all the chrome.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
That's a great way to save some cash!

Lately Ive found that Craigslist is my go to bike source. I just picked up a Specialized rockhopper for 100 bucks. Best mountain bike Ive ever owned, if your like I was and never ridden one try one out sometime blew my mind lol. Owner was obviously moving so negotiations were pretty simple. And just tonight I picked up a (never to be motorized or electric) Felt Z80 for.....175.00 in perfect condition.

About the only reason to love winter in this God forsaken land.