Think I made a nice score

GoldenMotor.com

Nevada

Nov 29, 2013
Reno, Nevada
So I was hanging out at my favorite watering hole Sat night and a guy comes by on a motorized bike. He's showing it to me and let me take it for a ride up and down the street. The thing runs like a top and has a shift kit and a few other upgrades. I ask him if he wants to sell it and he says "Maybe" I offered him $300 cash and he took it. It looks to be a 29" Walmart special beach cruiser with a chrome frame. Considering the cost of a shift kit alone I think I got a pretty good deal.dance1

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Theres a guy here in Memphis selling a shifter bike for $300. Too bad I can't afford it. The shift kit alone is nearly worth that.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Are you sure it's not hot?

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket. But that's such a good deal that it makes me suspicious.

It's not quite too good to be true. But it's close.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I get offered money all the time for my bike. I tell people I'll help them build a bike but mine isn't for sale. That being said and knowing how many of us are about our bikes we've built I'm suspicious also. This guy either didn't build the bike or it didn't belong to him more than likely. It's my hope it was a legit buy.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
lol it was stolen from a differant city .....

be shure to take it down and repaint the fram and make some minor changes to the over all appearance !!!!!

differant bars, new front forks, mabey a differant seat, and new paint !!!!

Nevada

Nov 29, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Are you sure it's not hot?

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket. But that's such a good deal that it makes me suspicious.

It's not quite too good to be true. But it's close.
As far as I know it's not hot, but no way of knowing for sure at this point. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Personally if I bought something I thought was stolen from someone who had put several hundred dollars in Iwould be concerned, but hopefully the guy did the work himself or had it done but was in a tight for money and that was the reason for selling it so cheap.

Ride safe
Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
He was a college student living in the dorms at the nearby University. He needed money.
Well you have nothing to be concerned about then........ and you got yourself a darn good deal on the bike sounds like, if you can post a pic or two we love to see the bikes people talk about on here, enjoy your bike and keep the rubber side down.....!

Map
.wee.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yup. I wouldn't lose sleep over it either.

But you're not quite out of the woods yet. If the police come and say, "that's a stolen bicycle", then you've lost the bike and the $300 you put into it. Plus you'll want to tell them anything you can about the seller to avoid legal trouble of your own.

Again I'm sounding like I'm raining on your parade. But I really do hope that nothing like that happens to you. Just keep an eye out for trouble for a while.

After that: Good Score!

Nevada

Nov 29, 2013
Reno, Nevada
If some way or another, with no bill of sale, no registration or anything with names, the police were to let me know it was stolen, I would gladly surrender the bike and not sweat the $300. I know how happy I'd be if something I had was returned after being stolen.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Is your advice to file the serial #'s off the frame too? laff
if i were in this position i would bring the bike to the police and ask if any stolen motor bike reports have been filed ! if not then i would take it down to the frame and rebuild it any way just becuase there is no report filed does not mean its not stollen ! and another thing is it may not be stollen lol the guy could be hard up for cash or something or mabey he had it given to him and had no idea of its actual value !

but my first guess would be that its stollen and i would check up with the police before riding round all willy nilly