Proper clutch usage

GoldenMotor.com

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
My experience driving with a clutch is pretty limited so I wanted to clear some things up. When is the proper time to pull the clutch lever on my bike? Does that "engage" or "disengage" the clutch. I'm assuming I should:

1. pull the lever when at a complete stop
2. pedal a little to start off
3. release the clutch (slow? or fast?) and give it some gas to go on my way again

What about when coasting down a hill or flat land, do I pull the clutch lever? When I'm coming to a stop at what point should pull the lever, just before the stop?

Feel free to treat me like a complete idiot in your reply. I've been getting along just fine with my test runs but I don't want to be stressing my engine and not knowing it:ride2:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Pulling the lever disengages the clutch. If you want to stop you pull the lever and start braking. Otherwise your brakes will be working against the engine.

For starting with the engine on I try to pedal up to speed then slowly ease in the clutch until it catches. Pop it too fast and you might stall. Keep pedaling until you can't keep up with the engine.

It is a matter of "feel" and practice. Don't worry, you'll figure it out quickly enough. Enjoy the ride!

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I just installed the shift kit and can start off in 1st gear from a start, but still take it easy on the clutch and pedal to get moving first.