new from Idaho

GoldenMotor.com

mixkwikis1st

Apr 24, 2011
Victor Idaho
I was happy to find this forum. I have been thinking of motorizing a bike for some time now for the economics and fun of it - even though our optimum riding weather is pretty short in the Teton mountains!!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
..and when the sun goes down it gets cold real quick ;)

I'm down in Boise, there's several of us here. I know of another in Twin Falls and in Nampa.

I'm thinking of a first Saturday in June thing here, a Meet-and-Greet-and-Showoff thing ;) Looking for a public place now, hoping to get the parking lot at the West end of Ann Morrison Park where the car clubs show.

Swimming in the duck crap pond is entirely optional :p

mixkwikis1st

Apr 24, 2011
Victor Idaho
Sounds like fun! My son and his little family lives there in Boise and he's into mountain bikes. I was just down there last month - moving my manufacturing ops to Ontario, Oregon.
It's a tool I invented that uses a sawsall for mixing spray paint. Cant wait to motorize a bike! I know virtually nothing about it yet. I need cargo space, so might want to do a tricycle w/ 4 stroke. Any suggestions? kb

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Yeah, forget the trike ;) At least for the first build. I got a kid's carrier trailer off of craigslist for $25, mainly for the axel, tires and connector. I'll be building a more suited trailer from 1" x 1" square steel tube useing the parts.

Although I saw a three wheeler in Boise craigslist today that was wild. A three wheel mountian bike. The crank had 2 sprockets and derailures with no cross connection between the two back tires with a swingarm shock and spring, had a basket, too! ;)

$100......

mixkwikis1st

Apr 24, 2011
Victor Idaho
I can see that I've got a lot of research to do on this. I've not seen one single motorized bike in this area so I'll be relying heavily on this forum for advise.

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
yes duct taped...i saw your video....comented on it..than decided to FINALLY join this forum. and thank you for the welcome. i sent you a message as well but i got the answer reading your postings =) and i have seen you around town. i "pedal" a schwinn stingray tho u might of seen me lol when can we race?

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
YEAH RACE!!! i know i only have a 20" back rim but got a 27 tooth sprocket..i really want to see if i can keep up with a 24" or 26" with a stock sprocket =)
HOW GOES IT DAVE C?...

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Lol Diany, I'll race ya - even with my cracked carb! xD Since it cracked I lost almost 10mph off my top end. I gotta get a Dellorto and just be done with all my carb work.

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
u wanna race for pink slips? oh wait....NO REGISTRATION!! LOL how bout for engines JK lol if we race itll be in good fun, but what makes you so confident? do u have NO2? or 66cc or 28 t sprocket? or what major mods have you done? jackshaft? do you have a picture of your bike? or engine? and how the **** do you crack a carb? lol it dosent seem like normal wear and tear to me hahaha

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There's a few pics of the bike - look in my album in my profile out here.

There's not really any serious mods. Just an aftermarket exhaust, 36T sprocket on a disc rotor mount w/rigged top hat adapter, solid one piece tires, custom clutch pucks, hitemp base gasket w/rtv, replaced tickler/primer with homemade boost bottle (yes it makes a difference, but only to extend the life of a dying carb IMHO).

The carb is cracked from overtightening it to the intake, it's right there at the barrel. So now my throttle sticks if it's too tight, and if it's too loose it falls off! LOL. After running Opti2 it actually lubed and penetrated the metal around the intake, so that's why it got overtightened. In the future, I'll be using black RTV, especially when burning an Opti mix in that engine. I don't use no2, it's a 48cc, no jackshaft. But when the carb isn't being a *^%^ ^&(*^%& ^%#$#^ *&%*^%$, it will top out just over 35, which isn't too shabby.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here are my guidelines for building: predominant riding terrain, lookup and read local legal requirements, primary rider's physique and budget. Do your research, stay within these guidelines and you'll have a bike you can enjoy riding. Good luck with your build.