Nothing is ever easy with these things....

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
So I got a new coaster brake rear wheel and a new 56 tooth sprocket. I find I need to open up the center hole by about 0.08" and I doubt I can do that evenly with a file. Has anybody found a reliable tool/method to do this in a garage that doesn't have any serious machine tools? Otherwise I am going to have to search out a machine shop.
Thanks!
:-||

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
That's easy, put a round file in a drill and let it spin. Works really great. You can break the file in half to make it shorter if you want to.
Just to clarify, put the sprocket in a vice and with the drill spinning press the spinning file against the outer edge and move your drill around and around. It will go fast with the spinning file.

Last edited:

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
i use a file with one flat side, and one half-moon side. takes 3minutes. AND grind down the outwermost edges of the dust cover. sounds like you've got a coaster brake hub.

file: $5
time: 3 minutes. tops.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Well, part of the problem is that the dust cap is just barely in the way when on, but the sprocket doesn't reach the rest of the hub when it is off. That makes it very difficult to get the sprocket centered. I made an attempt with the dust cover off and I have a 2mm difference side to side on the centering. How much runout can I get away with? It is such a long and tedious process to get the rag joint tightened evenly that I would hate to have to repeat it too many times.