Top speed

GoldenMotor.com

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
About 35 stock after break in and with high comp head expansion pipe and bigger bore carb I get 42 on my bike with a 44 tooth sprocket. I wouldn't recommend over 40 I noticed when I gpsed the bike that high of speed doesn't sound healthy. You could always get a smaller sprocket but I didn't because I mainly ride off the road.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
About 35 stock after break in and with high comp head expansion pipe and bigger bore carb I get 42 on my bike with a 44 tooth sprocket. I wouldn't recommend over 40 I noticed when I gpsed the bike that high of speed doesn't sound healthy. You could always get a smaller sprocket but I didn't because I mainly ride off the road.
My app will be for road use 85% will be off roaded 15% to test abuse and ruggedness.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Top speed is always going to depend on gear ratio. You can out gear the bike though. I wouldn't recommend going very fast anyways there really isn't any point. I actually bought a bigger rear sprocket for my bike recently just due to the fact that there is no need for me to the top speed of the sprocket I had on there. Just dangerous and brings a bad name to motorized bicycle going ridiculously fast. That's why legislation is being passed now for our bicycles. 44T comes with the kit and that gets the job done. If you want a little bit more I recommend a 40T.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Top speed is always going to depend on gear ratio. You can out gear the bike though. I wouldn't recommend going very fast anyways there really isn't any point. I actually bought a bigger rear sprocket for my bike recently just due to the fact that there is no need for me to the top speed of the sprocket I had on there. Just dangerous and brings a bad name to motorized bicycle going ridiculously fast. That's why legislation is being passed now for our bicycles. 44T comes with the kit and that gets the job done. If you want a little bit more I recommend a 40T.

Is it legal in wa without plates and tabs laws funky rpund here if i sell my scoot going to invest only on the deal that wont get me pulled over.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Top speed depends on the size drive sprocket you are using, the type of bicycle you are riding, how much compression you are getting, what kind of exhaust pipe you are using, what tires you are using, what type of surface you are riding on, your own body weight, wind conditions and chain drag, how lubricated your gears are, etc... Top speed should range between 25 mph and 40 mph

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I completely agree with LDS here. You hit a 2" pothole (commom everywhere in Maine) @ 25mph you are gonna wreck your front wheel and get hurt. These are bicycles. Be wise and be safe first and foremost. If roads you travel are good I would not understand why you need to go faster than 25. Do you want to race? The streets are not for that. What do you use your bike for? Answer that question before you modify and get hurt on the street. I run a 44T on 4 diff bikes. 25 30 great. Good low end grunt which is most important in rural areas. If you can't keep with traffic keep right. No prob. Be fully reflectored use a front and rear light Day and Night. Be as legal and unobnoxious as you can. I have 2 bikes with 40T on the rear wheel. A little faster, not much but noticebly less Go from stop. Mind you all I do to my engines is lap cyl and head, No serious mods but it suits me fine. It is all about the application intended. I am a back and forth to work and occasional pleasure ride. If you want to race and do 40, 45 + You don't belong on the street with one of these. I want to apologize if I'm bold with my statements and offend but it really depends upon your personal application. Racing or from here to there transportation.
ALSO; Thanks to Tyler! All valid, excellent points.

Last edited:

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
^^this^^ flying around doing stupid speeds on what is still only a bicycle is stupid, things like tires an wheel bearings are not meant for such high speeds

i crashed doing a low 12.5mph (20kph) in november last year due to a guy walking out in front of me i turned and locked my front wheel on grass i shattered my knee an torn 3 ligaments including my ACL which i may yet need surgery on

while i think it was a bit of a freak accident as i've crashed at high speed (before motorizing my bike) it's still made me think about the speeds i've taken my bike to 65+kph (40+mph) top speed, cruise speed is roughly 15-20mph it's a 1260w mid drive ebike by the way

anyway my point is people please be careful you can do a lot of damage to not just to yourselves but to motorized bicycling for everyone..............

ps, yes i'm still in pain everyday an can't yet go bowhunting due to my injury an knee still being very weak an sore :(

Last edited:

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I completely agree with LDS here. You hit a 2" pothole (commom everywhere in Maine) @ 25mph you are gonna wreck your front wheel and get hurt. These are bicycles. Be wise and be safe first and foremost. If roads you travel are good I would not understand why you need to go faster than 25. Do you want to race? The streets are not for that. What do you use your bike for? Answer that question before you modify and get hurt on the street. I run a 44T on 4 diff bikes. 25 30 great. Good low end grunt which is most important in rural areas. If you can't keep with traffic keep right. No prob. Be fully reflectored use a front and rear light Day and Night. Be as legal and unobnoxious as you can. I have 2 bikes with 40T on the rear wheel. A little faster, not much but noticebly less Go from stop. Mind you all I do to my engines is lap cyl and head, No serious mods but it suits me fine. It is all about the application intended. I am a back and forth to work and occasional pleasure ride. If you want to race and do 40, 45 + You don't belong on the street with one of these. I want to apologize if I'm bold with my statements and offend but it really depends upon your personal application. Racing or from here to there transportation.
ALSO; Thanks to Tyler! All valid, excellent points.
I have to disagree, have your rear wheel trued by a bike shop buy a hub adapter and you should be all set. If your bike can go fast it could save you from a accident. That doesnt mean you run your motor at 40-45 mph i just means you have that little bit of power left to get out of the way. My wife just broke her wrist in a big pot hole because her bike didnt have the power to pull the front wheel up.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Hmmmm. O.K.What's rear wheel got to do with hitting a pot hole @25? Your wife got reverse and driving backward? DID she leave the house without her glasses. She don't have time to lift front wheel over pot hole.Too Fast... You AVOID'EM don't try to jump 'em. She sport rider is she? Your wife broke her wrist because she never anticipated her travel route OR she was going too fast and couldn't correct her course. Sorry Cylon. I do not buy it.