Motor problems

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You are going to have to 'TELL' us what your problem is. That video doesn't explain anything.
Why don't you try pedaling the bicycle, releasing the clutch lever and see if the engine starts. I assume you're trying to kick start it with the pedals. That doesn't work very well, especially with a new engine.

Check our 'Troubleshooting' section. There is a very good tutorial there to walk you through what to check and how.

Tom

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
One thing I can see straight off is that drive sprocket you have is way too small. I'm guessing maybe it has 20 teeth on it? I don't think you will be able to start it easily and even if you do the engine will be turning so slowly it will bog down and die before you can get up to speed. It looks like a new engine that you have just installed so your kit should have come with a larger sprocket that has probably 44 teeth. To give you an idea I don't think any vendors sell any sprocket smaller than 30 teeth and I have not heard of anyone using anything smaller than that.

It would be a good idea for you to do a lot of reading through the tutorials here and get familiar with the terms and names for different parts and that will help you have a better understanding of how it all works and how it goes together. It will also help you describe what problems you are facing so you can get some answers.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
You are welcome. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of youtube vids showing how to install the sprocket using those heavy rubber washers. They can be a bit fussy to do but they definitely work fine.

I'm guessing this is your first build so pay close attention to all the safety concerns like using threadlocker on the bolts/nuts that need it etc. Check all the attaching bolts for tightness on a regular basis especially during the early stages of your break in period.

You can disregard the manufacturers guide for the oil/gas mix and go straight to 32:1 By doing this it will help make it easier to start and run and still be enough oil to lubricate the internals properly.

Make sure your brakes are working well, cause once you get going you will also want to come to a safe stop.

Read through a couple of other members build threads and that will give you an idea of where some challenges may come up. Maczulu has done a good thread and although he has done many modifications, at the core of it is a good read.

Anyway, there's usually someone around here on the forum to help you out.

So you're way down in Florida trying to outrun gators and I'm way up here trying to outrun the bears.

have fun, take your time and do stuff right so you don't have to do them over again.

drn2

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
- Get a 36-44 tooth sprocket. It won't run well with that tiny sprocket and might not even start.
- Put an air filter on the carb. (even a piece of nylon stretched over it is better than nothing)
- Make sure the fuel valve is open and the mixed gas is flowing to the carb, get on it and peddle up to 5-10 mph and then release the clutch handle and see if it will start. From the video, it sounds like you are getting compression.

bikelife

Jan 6, 2016
florida
I had the motor on a different bike with a Larger sprocket, did a quick bike swap with smaller sprocket. Have experience but not a lot. Like they say iron sharpens iron. Thanks I appreciate all the help running from gators. dance1

Attachments

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I had the motor on a different bike with a Larger sprocket, did a quick bike swap with smaller sprocket. Have experience but not a lot. Like they say iron sharpens iron. Thanks I appreciate all the help running from gators. dance1
I recommend that you put a front brake on it, coaster brake bearings will burn out fast.

Last edited: