smelly handgrips

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
is it me or do your handgrips give off a smell of what I expect China to smell like? You know, not terribly unpleasant but kinda strong and not something you want to smell all day. Is there a solution to not have the grips smell so Chinese?
I once got a shortwave radio that smelled like it was in the living room of a 3 pack a day smoker...I wrapped it in dryer sheets and it just ended up smelling like a 3 pack a day smoker at the laundromat. Any tips would be helpful...my hands stink after every ride

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I know that smell. It kind of reminds me of grease mixed with benzine or something.
It may be a mold release agent they use over there.
I tried soaking and scrubbing them in hot dishwater, it helped a little.

P-U

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Slather them liberally with bearing grease. That should take care of the smell.

I kid, I kid.

I know what you're talking about. Who knows what they use in their rubber compounds. I do rub those type parts down with hydrogen peroxide (worried rubbing alcohol would damage them) but I can't honestly report a definite change.
Let us know if you find a solution tho.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Use different grips. I'm using bicycle grips with the soft rubber ridges, took a bit of hard shoving to get the grip on the throttle, but it's on there.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I wish...it smells kinda like re-stocking day at Harbor Freight
LOL, now that's funny!!!!

My wife just bought a padded knee rest for working in the garden. When she took it out of the bag it had the same smell as new kit handgrips. I don't know what the odor is either but it must have something to do with the vinyl or plastics used. The smell does eventually go away but it takes a while.
Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Might be some compound of formaldehyde to help speed the curing process of the rubber/vinyl/latex/plastic/unthinkable concoction they use to make the grips.

Didn't you read the warning on the end of the grips...."No smell"? Well, I guess that could cause some confusion.....

(I also enjoyed the Harbor Freight reference! Hadn't really thought about it before, but it's spot on.)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It's the harbor freight smell... luckily it goes away after it airs out for a few months...
I think they do it so you get a whiff as soon as you open up the package then you suddenly get this urge to run over to harbor freight and buy more Chinese stuff...