Birthday Dilemma

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This probably isn't the best place to ask for marriage counseling but here goes.
My lovely and thoughtful wife bought me a new seat for the MB for my birthday. What a neat thing to do but... I tried it out today, and the thing feels like I'm sitting on a rock. Very pretty seat; chrome springs and trim, but my gawd. It's hard. My old seat, a 70s vintage overstuffed monster that I had on my old Schwinn 10 speed rides like a cloud.
So...do I tell her? I mean, afterall, how often does the wife go out and buy you a new seat?
I think honesty is the best policy and my bony little rear can't take the abuse. Maybe I should have her return the seat and get me some day-glow streamers for my handlebars.
Tom

Attachments

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
Tell her. If she's good enough to buy you a seat for your MB she's good enough to understand. Of course you'll have to do the requisite amount of sucking up to her. Buy her flowers, take her to a chick flick, whatever.
If you really want my best advice here it is: Don't listen to me. Wait for one of these guys who've been married 40 or 50 years to chime in and listen to them. Good Luck.

Too bad. That's a really nice looking saddle. She has good taste.

Oh yeah, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Yep, what seca40 said sounds like sound advice. Especially the sucking up and flowers part. That always works..........................

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
That is a sweet looking seat Tom. I does look hard as a brick though. I'm like you, no padding in the butt so I have to have a comfortable seat. I think she will understand, with a whole lot of sucking up and working on the Honey Do List for the next couple days!

John

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
You could keep it and tell her the truth. You're married and shouldn't keep secrets that are so trivial. However, you could let her kow that this is your "show" seat. It looks great and will add some flare however it is uncomfortable. She didn't know any better but she had your best interest at heart and wanted to get you something she thought you would like. Just mu thought though.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Hi Tom,
Where Im from everybody tells you how they think, whether you like it or not. If I buy my wife something I think she might like and she really does not like it. She will say thanks but I don't care for it take it back or get store credit, I don't want it. Amd that's how we roll around here daughter,son,wife & myself included let the chips fall where they may. Some of the other suggestions sound like Dr Phil to me but thats just me.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Tell her you love the seat but its hurting your boys and you need to change back to a softer ride . Forget the sucking up, you won't do it good enough for her anyway .Get her a nice ,mushy ,Hallmark card and not a cheapy . The price is on the back of the card and women do check . Make sure you sign the card and put a loving personal message in it .This one worked well for me . "I think about you every day , and I am so proud to be part of your family. " Make sure you put her name on the envelope and leave it in a place she will find it when your not around . Women love surprises . Save the flowers for Valentines day or anniversarys . Flowers can drain you pockets .
You follow this in detail ,and your whole house will have a happy birthday .

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Tell her you love the seat but its hurting your boys and you need to change back to a softer ride . Forget the sucking up, you won't do it good enough for her anyway .Get her a nice ,mushy ,Hallmark card and not a cheapy . The price is on the back of the card and women do check . Make sure you sign the card and put a loving personal message in it .This one worked well for me . "I think about you every day , and I am so proud to be part of your family. " Make sure you put her name on the envelope and leave it in a place she will find it when your not around . Women love surprises . Save the flowers for Valentines day or anniversarys . Flowers can drain you pockets .
You follow this in detail ,and your whole house will have a happy birthday .

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Sucking up, buying flowers, apologizing? Might just all tend to confirm that HE has done something wrong. Signal to his wife that she is RIGHT to be p!ssed with his ingratitude. OF course, believe me, I know why men approach their wives in this way. I was married to a tyrant for 10 years. Not that I'm suggesting ...

Anyway, I like really like one of the suggestions about "the boys..." With that one in mind, I might say something along the lines of:

"I am really tickled that you went out and got me such nice seat. Tickled until I rode it, that is.... I guess my peculiar anatomy is the reason such an ugly seat as the 'black matress' is the only one I've found to be comfortable so far...."

Or, you might adapt a Dr.Phil-ism: That bicycle seat you gave me? It's "not workin' " for me.

Good luck,

Calgary's "I hate Dr.Phil" Fool

junkyard

Jan 6, 2009
st.petersburg fla
ok im gunna take another angle

maybe she got you an uncomfortable seat cuz she doesnt want you to ride as much....lol

or...... she didnt know and just tell her

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I had no idea there were so many Dr. Phil-osophicals here. I posted this thread with my tongue firmly planted in cheek and I get all these very serious answers as to how to face the situation.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the sincere attempts to help but I'm keeping the saddle. It's too nice to give up and when I plan a long ride I'll just switch to my old cushy one.
Best of both worlds. As for flowers...she gets them every week weather I've screwed up or not.
Been together almost 23 years and I know her pretty well.
Tom (aka, skinny butt)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One thing I like to do when my butt starts to hurt on long rides, is ride standing up on the pedals. Helps get the blood flowing in your butt and also helps my legs a little too.

Not only that, it is fun.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I was also gonna say keep it for show because that puppy is way nicer looking than the comfy seat. And if going on trips longer than the supermarket,switch it out.
Take it further by getting a seat post for each seat with a quick release seat clamp on the bike. The switching it out is a snap. And you can carry your seat with you when you lock it up at the store.(edit) Oops.No good. Bye Bye rack.

Another idea is a suspension seat post.

Last edited: