Stripped my crankarm.

GoldenMotor.com

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
Will someone please help me from going mad. I was just putting my bike away and decided to see if these pedals my brother gave me would go on my bike. First one went on just fine. Second one wasent so easy. I tried for about 10 minutes before I decided to take a break from it. I looked down at the crank arm to see That I had stripped the top of the threading like an idot. now I have a bike with one pedal. I am looking for the cheapest/ easiest way to repair this. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
One of the pedals (Can't remember which side) is reverse threaded to prevent it from coming off while pedaling. This is probably why you had a problem and is probably the affected side. You can try reverse threading it back in and see if it still holds. If it does, don't ever take it out again. If this doesn't work you will have to replace the crank arm which is both sides on a one piece crank arm or the affected side on a three piece crank arm.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Helicoil ?

You might want to check into having a Helicoil installed in the damaged crank arm? But you may find that it is cheaper to just replace the crank arm (3-piece) or the whole crank (1-piece) The left side threads are left hand threads on either set up. The threads on 3-piece cranks are 9/16 in. and the threads on 1-piece cranks are 1/2 in.

ocscully

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
we were chatting last night I believe it is a one piece crank set and it is the right side. I suggested knocking the crossed threads down with a file and using some red lock tite if the pedal will screw in if not replacing the one piece crank is what it may take.

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
I actually went to a local bike shop and he was able to chase the threads for like 5 bucks. thanks to everyone that helped me with info