Hi everybody

GoldenMotor.com

nsanecopilot

Sep 28, 2014
orlando
I am Jon and new to motorbiking, and just got an essentially new bike from a kid who gave up on the chain tensioner and bike. I found this site after a web search and found some good info here. I havent got it riding yet as i am still having same problems as he did. It is close though. I am 50 years old and this is probably gonna be a fun hobby as i had go carts and minibikes as a teenager and miss all that!

Anyway my first motorbike here is a 66cc 2 stroke on a huffy panama jack frame. my friend is helping me and we are adding front fork suspension with disk brake this week from one of his parts bikes, And i have a performance carb and chamber on the way. Stay tuned.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of alternatives to the kit supplied chain tensioner. They can be a souce of problems if not set up exactly right. You might want to explore doing without a tensioner. If you have horizontal drop outs that allow the rear wheel to be moved to adjust chain tension then you should be good without one. If the drop outs do not let you move the rear axle back then there are much better ways of keeping tension on the chain.

I''ll post a link to some threads with lots of good ideas and reading for you> .http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...21994j10#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Tensioner&gsc.page=1

Many of us are not fans of spring loaded tensioners. There are better ways.

Tom

Last edited:

nsanecopilot

Sep 28, 2014
orlando
Thanks guys. Yes after some research here it seems the spring is a bad idea. We will remove that tomorrow and use the stock type for now with it screwed into the frame. I like the ones some of you guy have come up with, Like the having mounted to top and bottom of frame with a grooved slot for adjustment. May go this way. I do have acess to some shop tools, steel cutters, drill press. Nothing to elaborate though. i will post pics later too :)

nsanecopilot

Sep 28, 2014
orlando
Success!!! Removed the spring and fulcrum and mounted the nylon wheel to the bracket. Now know one goes flying off like before....... We also added a front fork suspension from a junk BMX bike laying around. It needs cleaning up but At least I now have a front brake. I got a disk brake hub but will re spoke the wheel for it when i get around to it. We made some heavy duty mounting plates to use bigger clamps, so now this motor is tightly mounted. Need to ride it now between Downpours. Rained everyday all day for a week now....
Do i need to go thru photobucket to post pics?