First Time Build - I welcome advice

GoldenMotor.com

pnwfoodguy

May 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Hi all
So I live here in Portland OR and I want to do my first build. I am a pretty good motorcycle mechanic so I am pretty handy. This is a special build as it will be given away to a person I know who loves biking but can't physically do it so easy anymore. I owe him BIG time and when he saw one of these, his eyes lit up like a little kid. It will be a great surprise for him :)

PROBLEMS: Portland is a bikers city, but they are bike snobs. They will not like seeing a motorized bike (I'm from NJ so I say F@$K them). Also, I need to keep this to a 35cc build as anything above that is considered a moped therefore needs to be licensed, registered, etc. At35cc and under it falls under a whole slew of easier regulations.

Here are my criteria:
1. I want tis to be a nice bike (think Foscatti)
2. Money is not a great concern, but I want to keep this around $1,000.
3. Retro Cruiser with Spring Fork and Balloon Tires - I'm looking at a Micargi Falcon, Nirve 53. I'd love a Felt 1903 but they are ridiculous in $ if you can find one.
4. Must use a Honda 35cc motor (GX35). Besides their reliability, I hate Chinese crap so this is a must. Also, as stated above, it will meet OR regulations for no license, no registration, etc, etc. Besides it will be ridden mostly in the city and Portland is relatively flat.

QUESTIONS:

BIKE - Besides what I mentioned, any other suggestions? I could search CL, etc and go driving around looking for a bargain, but for now, I'd rather just buy new (of course I am looking and if something pops up, I'll jump on it).
- Is it better to have a one speed bike than say a 3 or 7 speed?
- Is one coaster rear brake enough? I have seen front wheels with drum brakes built in and that looks OK also. I know that normal front brakes can be trick with a springer fork.

Motor: Again, only a Honda 35cc will do. Needs to be frame mounted (like a motorcycle). From what I've read, it looks like a Vframe mounting plate will work best? Something like >> http://www.bicycle-engines.com/Black-V-Frame-Mounting-Plate-Kit.html
- Where would I find the best exhaust for this engine? And also important is that its as QUIET as possible without restricting power.

Transmission - Here's my greatest dilemma. I want to make sure that if the engine quits he can still pedal without resistance from the motor. Therefore it needs some sort of clutch ?? Is the best way to attach a sprocket to the rear wheel? If so, honestly I'm a little confused as to the best way to make that connection. Also, what are the benefits to a tensioner?

I'd like to get started as soon as possible, but won't do so until I hear from you guys. Your suggestions are certainly appreciated

BTW, attaching a Fosscati photo just because I love his bikes.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
First check out all the sponsors at the side of this forum for parts. Staton-inc has clutch parts for that engine. And yes you will need more then just the rear brake. You can get the front drum brake from Worksman. Just make sure you do some studying here on the forum before you build to avoid some mistakes. Good luck..........Curt

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's cool that you're building this out of personal loyalty/gratitude for a friend. That alone will keep us interested. Plus we'll be interested in how your friend does with it. So stick around and keep us updated, won't you?

With a chain driving the rear wheel you won't be able to make the bike easy to pedal when the engine isn't running. Though at one time at least one guy was making and selling a dis-engagable rear drive sprocket. But I haven't seen or heard of him in a while. And I've seen no others. So I suspect that this is something that didn't work out. But that probably won't be a deal killer. With your mechanical abilities and a Honda engine, you should be able to keep breakdowns to a near-zero level. It might take a bit of learning your particular bike/engine/drive train combo. But it shouldn't be a big problem.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Bicycle engines.com has what you are talking about I think. Just pull the pins and it's free wheeling............... Curt

pnwfoodguy

May 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Hey guys, thanks. I am putting together a list of components that I think will work best after reading on this board for hours.
Honestly, I am thinking about starting with Phantom frame, Honda motor and building from there. I will keep you posted.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Maybe toss a kit bike together so you have something to ride then after you could sell it. Some of the home builds take a long time............Curt

pnwfoodguy

May 23, 2014
Portland, OR
So here's an update. Of course, advice is welcome:
As it turns out, the person who is getting this bike would love it (talked to his wife) but is not big on "motorcycle" looking bikes. She mentioned he liked when he saw one with the engine on the back (versus frame mount).

So now I'm thinking, maybe the best bet is to get a GEBE or Staton rear mount bike. I don't really want to do a friction drive however as I think it'll be more trouble).

Now remember, this has to be a 35cc Honda (preferable) 4 stroke build.

From what I am reading here on the board, the Staton is a lot noisier than the GEME setup. What do you guys think? I also like the fact that he can pedal at any time with or without engine running.

NOTE: Is there anyway to make the GX35 quieter without choking it? Maybe an exhaust thats short and points towards the ground? I remember reading here about a "flexible exhaust" setup but can't seem to fing the thread

Thanks all!!