Heavy Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
G'day All,

My son & I have just put together our first motorized bike, we used a kit from Z Box Australia, 70cc, when we try and depress the the clutch leaver its as if your at the gym & trying to acheive incredible Mr Universe muscles in the forearm, far out brussle sprouts, we have ensured cable is not being restricted, greased all the areas as per instructions, re adjusted clutch as well as it didnt release from the start, no help from guy who sold it to us, any assistance would be great, as my next step iss placing a 4 foot extension bar throught the little pissy lever, sorry for long post buts its my very first,in this life anyway

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
yea those clutches are very hard to pull at first. me bros lever is now much much easier to pull, so I think with time it does get....worn in... I guess is the best way to describe it. Mine is still hard to engage but not as hard as it was at first.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
It's a combination of things really, but if you have lubed everything and mechanically everything is straight - the biggest bang for the buck is to reduce the sheath length. On many bikes the sheath can easily be shortened. You'll have to see what will work on your bike, but on my mountain bike I cut out a few inches and it made a big difference. A Dremel works very well.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I second that emotion....shorten the outer part of the cable as much as possible or practical and lube the inner with light grease or motor oil- WD-40 or other spray lubes tend to dry out quickly.

Did you lube the pivot arm where it pushes the rod into the case?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I will third that. Shortening my cable made a world of difference. The previous owner left it so long and it kinked a bit.

Also, work the pivot arm a bit, it should get easier as you go.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Also... that little long spring down at the engine, that keeps tension on the clutch arm... get rid of it! Just keep the cable adjusted so it won't fall off the arm.

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
Thanks all,

I greased everything up mentioned already & to the areas mentioned, but did not think about trying to shorten the gable & Im going to give this a go, & I reckon you have all hit the nail on the head, I appreciate all your replies,

Cheers, Beers & Nuts